Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-02-07 16:03:10

Astuff

IDrive causing network activity every 10 seconds

Even when IDrive is supposed to be idle (i.e., no backup or other operation should be in progress), it seems to be communicating with an IDrive.com server every 10 seconds. I am running Windows 10, and have confirmed this behavior on both of my PCs via Wireshark. I don't have sync set up, nor continuous backup.

I have asked IDrive support about this, and they insisted that I do a clean install of the latest version, which not only didn't change the network behavior, but it introduced a nasty bug that is beyond the scope of this particular forum topic.

I am 99.9% sure that IDrive developers would instantly know why this network activity is occurring, but of course there's no word back from their support. While probably benign, it is hard not to feel like something nefarious is going on when they have network activity that they refuse to explain.

How many of you are/aren't seeing this network activity every 10 seconds?

#2 2021-02-07 16:21:39

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive causing network activity every 10 seconds

My guess would be their web client. It knows when your computers are switched on so that you can initiate remote backups and restores.

#3 2021-02-07 16:29:27

Astuff

Hi Steve,

I'm not even using the web client, though.

And even if it was just a ping-type action to see if there were any remote requests, there are about 30 transactions in each burst, not just a couple.

Do you also see this every-10-second network activity?

Thanks,
Alan

#4 2021-02-07 17:26:19

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Its not something I've observed before.

I can see from Resource Monitor that id_sync.exe and id_service.exe occasionally connect on port 443 to various IP addresses in the 72.26.124.0 range.

I'm not sure you can disable the web client if you choose not to use it. Its probably doing more than pings, ensuring that the remote catalog of your data is up to date / updating logs etc.

Unfortunately IDrive probably won't share information about what their product is doing, even if you do get to talk to a developer. When you contact support via chat, phone or email, you usually get a first-line support person in a generic call-center in India. If you contact them during California office hours, you can sometimes persuade the agent to transfer you to somebody in head office.

#5 2021-02-07 17:37:04

Astuff

Thank you, you are correct! Disabling Web Access greatly reduced the network traffic to IDrive servers.

If only their support people had simply mentioned that to me, it would have saved hours of work (and more to come, since backups have not been working correctly since they encouraged me to perform a clean install).

I'm going to leave Web Access off anyway, since accessing anything from the web causes data to be decrypted on IDrive servers, not locally on the PC.

Thanks again!
Alan

#6 2021-02-07 17:43:31

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Astuff wrote:

If only their support people had simply mentioned that to me

Probably not on their script roll

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam