Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-02-08 22:54:33

JohnM

More files "failed" to back up than exist

67 files were set to be backed up.  The error message claims that 1,862 files failed to back up.  Below are the relevant messages.  I'm able to complete a manual backup successfully afterwards.  I have experienced this problem several times in the last few weeks. 

Backup Start Time:02-08-2021 1:30:43
Files considered for backup : 27653 file(s)
Files already present in your account: 25724 file(s)
Files backed up now: 67 file(s), Size: 983.75 MB
Files failed to backup: 1862 file(s)
Some files / folders could not be backed up due to an unexpected error.
Backup End Time: 02-08-2021 1:31:53

#2 2021-02-09 00:59:02

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: More files "failed" to back up than exist

Are the skipped files listed in the detailed log?

Is there any more detail in C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-profile-\Tracefile.txt ?

#3 2021-02-09 01:33:29

JohnM

The files are not in the detailed log.

C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-profile-\Tracefile.txt contains numerous entries similar to

Error: invalid entry found in --files -from file
followed by a multi-line gibberish file name in the directory saved-telemetry-pings.

IDrive support told me to deselect my backup set and then re select it. I had already found that workaround and was hoping for a solution that did not take my intervention.

#4 2021-02-09 12:22:05

SteveA
Administrator
Website

I think I know what's happening here. saved-telemetry-pings indicates that telemetry is switched on in Firefox and you'll find lots of temporary files being created and deleted in:

C:\Users\-YourUsername-\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

IDrive will find the files when it scans, but they'll probably be missing when it gets around to backing them up.

You could exclude that folder from your backup set (Settings - Exclude files / folders from backup) and / or disable telemetry in Firefox. Alternatively don't backup AppData at all - it's not selected by default by IDrive when you first install because there are lots of files in there that can't be backed up due to exclusive locks or permissions.

If there are parts of AppData you feel you need to backup, add them individually.

#5 2021-02-13 00:35:03

JohnM

I'm not running Firefox, but it looks like Thunderbird has the same directory saved-telemetry-pings.  I have removed that directory from my backup.  I want to back up my Thunderbird mail and will do some research on what actually needs to be backed up in the profile rather than backing up the entire profile.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam