Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-03-08 19:24:16

mdconnelly

External/USB drive concern

I started an IDrive personal account 14 days ago (after trialing a free acct for awhile).  My need primarily is to cleanup a ton of data - currently about 3TB worth.   Many changes routinely made - potentially affecting large directory trees.

I'm using a nano-PC with a 4 drive USB storage array attached.   After using Express to move a bunch of data to IDrive, I only then realized that IDrive does not offer a Archive/Periodic Cleanup for data backed up from these drives.   So short of making changes to both local data and IDrive data (a total non-starter). how can I keep my IDrive storage in relative sync with my local storage?    What I don't want is to have to do a restore at some point and end up with a bunch of files & folders that I long ago deleted, renamed or moved.  And, of course, I don't want my IDrive storage to hit a quota far larger than the size of my local storage.

Is there a work-around for this?  It's just not clear why they don't support Archive Cleanup for external drives.  Any insight is appreciated.  At present, it seems that IDrive is just not a good fit for my application.  Help...

#2 2021-03-08 23:10:56

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: External/USB drive concern

Do these drives appear on your system as mapped (network) drives?

#3 2021-03-09 01:19:20

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Ah - I see that IDrive treats Mapped and External drives the same and doesn't offer Archive Cleanup.

There is a trick you could use, and that is to mount your external drives into folders of the C: drive.

You'll need to create some empty folders, for example you could create c:\mnt in the root, then create empty folders for your drives:

c:\mnt\DriveJ
c:\mnt\DriveK
c:\mnt\DriveL

Then, in Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), right-click the drives, Change Drive Letter and Paths, Add, and choose the relevant folder for each drive.

IDrive is then fooled into thinking those drives are just part of the C: drive, so you can select them for backup and they will be included in the Archive Cleanup when you run it.

Unfortunately this will mean your IDrive Express exercise will have been a waste of time and you'll probably have to remove all the data from your account to avoid going over your quota sad

If you can persuade IDrive that this is their fault, they might let you have another Express drive without charge.

#4 2021-03-09 14:50:12

mdconnelly

Hmmm, interesting approach, but you're right - it would mean I'd have to reupload all that content.

To be honest, I was a bit frustrated with IDrive support on this issue.  Two support contacts acknowledged the limitation and suggested I submit it as a feature request to enable Archive Cleanup on external/mapped drives.  When I escalated it, the answer I finally got was that it was implemented this way by design and not likely to be changed because an external drive, if swapped, would create problems within IDrive.  Sounded more like he was just defending a limitation of their design.

I cancelled my IDrive account since I was on my last day to still get a refund.   I may choose to revisit with the drive remap, but it still feels like a hack to a serious weakness in the IDrive approach.

But thank you, SteveA, for the drive remap idea!

#5 2021-03-09 19:33:07

SteveA
Administrator
Website

mdconnelly wrote:

When I escalated it, the answer I finally got was that it was implemented this way by design and not likely to be changed because an external drive, if swapped, would create problems within IDrive.  Sounded more like he was just defending a limitation of their design.

I could think of a number of ways to detect if the disk had been changed (or disconnected) and therefore protect the data in the IDrive account from accidental deletion from Archive Cleanup.

They could at least provide the functionality with a warning!

Of course my workaround would have the same risk - if one of the drives disappeared from the NTFS folders and you ran a cleanup, IDrive would probably assume the folder has been deleted and remove it from the account.

#6 2021-03-09 22:45:55

mdconnelly

Well, that's the curiousity.... If IDrive backs up everything it finds and claims it never removes it unless you do (via Archive/Periodic Cleanup or via their web interface) then it should always be there to reconnect when you do connect the right drive.  No?  That would be an interesting test.  If the folder or drive you told IDrive was deleted locally (or simply not there) would IDrive take the action to remove it from your account?   Hmmm.   But yes, I understand the concern on external drives. 

I see they're offering a 5TB plan for just $6.95 for the first year now.  Didn't see that the first time around.   I may sign up with that just to give your mount disk suggestion a try.   (Plus, if I don't go through the 5G trial, I'll have 30 days to get my $7 back ;-)

Steve, how long have you been an IDrive user?   Happy with it?  I've seen such mixed reviews on the web, but that's likely true for any software.

#7 2021-03-10 14:08:03

SteveA
Administrator
Website

mdconnelly wrote:

how long have you been an IDrive user?   Happy with it?  I've seen such mixed reviews on the web, but that's likely true for any software.

I've been signed up to various IDrive products since 2010. I've made it work for my needs, but I can understand some of the frustrations others experience, hence this forum!

I think its a good product, poorly executed.

#8 2021-03-19 21:05:45

mdconnelly

After extensive email back and forth with IDrive support, I decided to give them another shot using your mount external drive trick.   Seems to be working.

I decided to give it a try with their current $6.95 for 5TB promotion.   So for $7, I have a year to fully assess if IDrive can meet my needs.   The downside is that at the end of the year, my account gets kicked up to full price and they say I cannot use my .edu email address to get the education 50% discount at that time.  So that just means that if IDrive meets my needs I'll have to create yet another IDrive account using my .edu email address to get the Education discount and then reupload everything yet again.   As much as I want to truly like IDrive, they do make it a challenge, don't they?

But, it's been around a long time and the price is right.  Thanks again, SteveA,  for the tip on mounting drives.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam