Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-04-15 22:19:48

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Stuck on "Preparing files list"

Backing up from an external drive, always worked before. Using Windows 10. I do a manual backup once a week, nothing automated. But today, when I clicked on "backup" it appears to be stuck on "Preparing files list." Once it reaches the end of the prepare bar, it starts all over again...like an endless loop. Two hours now, it's still in that loop. I have NO idea what to do to clear this up. I already stopped and resumed, with the same sorry results. TIA.

Brindlekin Tales (or "Flaco & Lucky: a Tale of 2 Doggies")
https://zekeblog.wordpress.com/brindlekin-tales/

#2 2022-04-16 00:37:26

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Stuck on "Preparing files list"

Have you looked in the usual places for clues? The log for the backup and the Tracefile.txt file?

I guess it may not write anything to those until an actual backup starts.

I do believe that the "Preparing file list" indication is not really linked to any particular activity - I've seen it reach the end and refresh myself when there's a large number of files to be analysed for backup, so its not necessarily an indication of the process looping.

It might be worth just leaving it all day / overnight to see if it eventually starts the backup. Maybe the IDrive servers are having some sort of go-slow issue at the moment.

#3 2022-04-16 01:10:05

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Okay, I'll just start the IDrive app again, and let it do its thing, even if it takes hours. Hopefully, that'll work. It's just that I don't have a ton of new files to back up every week, so it usually takes less than a half hour to complete, these days. Thanks!

#4 2022-04-16 18:10:25

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

It's working fine now, everything backed up overnight. I set IDrive for automatic backup starting 11:59 last night. When I woke up this morning, it showed a successful backup that took 2-1/2 hours. The only reason I use Windoze anymore (on my dual boot system w/Linux Mint) is to perform this backup. I will eventually get around to set up the scripts so I can kiss Windoze goodbye for good. Thanks!

#5 2022-06-24 13:53:56

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Further info regarding Preparing file list issues can be found here.

#6 2022-06-24 16:55:07

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

SteveA wrote:

Further info regarding Preparing file list issues can be found here.

Thank you, looks very helpful...but I have ended my subscription with IDrive barely a week ago. This message board you've created has been an indispensable resource for the times I had problems and questions regarding IDrive.

#7 2022-06-24 20:00:36

OldGrantian

Zeke wrote:

The only reason I use Windoze anymore (on my dual boot system w/Linux Mint) is to perform this backup.

Most peculiar. Why use Windows to back up Linux data?

I used a small Linux partition to do all my Windows housekeeping. Much more reliable and predictable.

Linux is too dangerous for me to use now. It's too powerful. I find it stressful.

Zeke wrote:

I will eventually get around to set up the scripts so I can kiss Windoze goodbye for good.

Use fsarchiver in its default config to start with. Examine the results, then play around with the options. You can use diff with a -r switch on two different backup sets to examine the effects of different options.

Thanks

#8 2022-06-24 22:13:25

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

OldGrantian wrote:

.Most peculiar. Why use Windows to back up Linux data?

All data, whether from Windoze or LInux, is stored to a FAT32 external drive. Data is a mix of text files, jpeg images, e-books in various common formats, and videos. None of this data is particularly OS specific. Furthermore: I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a bunch of scripts to use IDrive in Linux.

I used a small Linux partition to do all my Windows housekeeping. Much more reliable and predictable.

That is very useful and makes good sense.

Linux is too dangerous for me to use now. It's too powerful. I find it stressful.

Personally, I find using Windoze far more dangerous...you just need to build up your Linux learning curve. I rarely touch Windoze anymore, now that I no longer use IDrive. The only time I do is for updates, but I will most likely wipe out my Windoze partition soon, and go full Linux. Also, I ordered a Chromebook which will arrive on Monday...and on which I will install Linux, so THAT system will be dual-boot as well!

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, and I wish you a most excellent day, Old Grantian!

#9 2022-07-04 11:25:27

fohwomp

Sharing my experience. Hopefully, this will slightly reduce the overall suffering in the World

In short: My IDrive got stuck with “Preparing file list” looping forever when I tried to execute backup. The solution for me was to enable “Optimize CPU resources” under “Settings”

Longer version:
I bought IDrive for three of my Windows machines as a cheaper replacement of CrashPlan. Unfortunately, two of my machines constantly froze right when backup was starting. It just looped over “Preparing file list” in the beginning. After half a dozen contacts to support, two data dumps to their development team and months of debugging, I got it working.

I still do not know the background reason, but the solution MOST LIKELY was to enable the setting “Optimize CPU resources”. The setting does not seem to be mentioned anywhere in the official documentation. However, according to my Task manager it seems to manage whether the program executes on a single process or multiple processes. I’d guess that the single process somehow got deadlocked. Thus, allowing multiprocessing, things went forward.

Some other things I learned during my journey:
* You can force backup of a path by right clicking in File Explorer (you might need to enable this behavior somewhere in the IDrive settings). This seemed to work all the time, even when scheduled backups or "Backup Now" failed.

* IDrive is not very good with long filenames (> 250 or so characters). You can list these filenames with Windows Powershell script

Get-ChildItem . -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction Continue | Where-Object {$_.FullName.Length -gt 250}
If you do not know Powershell, you should google it a bit. It is a more powerful command line tool than the standard one.

* IDrive does not handle permission problems very well. From Windows standard Command line you can set the permissions correctly with
cacls . /T /E /C /G <user>:F
Replace <user> with your username. This gives you full control for all the files under the current path. More information here: https://ss64.com/nt/cacls.html

An important flag here is /C. It allows the command to continue in case of errors. However, you should also execute the command without the flag. This way you’ll find the files/paths that for some kind of reason are problematic. Typically filename is somehow faulty. Most likely these files are, anyway, skipped by IDrive. So, you need to solve the issue somehow (by renaming, moving or deleting files).

* IDrive does not work with on-demand synching of e.g., Google Drive or OneDrive. Thus, turn on-demand off and have all the files always on your machine.

* IDrive stores interesting logs to
\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\SYSTEM\Tracefile.txt and
\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\<Windows username>\Tracefile.txt
files. I got error messages like “Error in GetSubRecordsForDedup2() : System.FormatException:” about strings not being valid DateTime values and “Error in FileMove :System.IO.IOException:” about processes not being able to access files

There are also a lot more debugging logs that you can enable by putting a flag value to an IDrive settings file. However, I don’t remember the value and the IDrive support gives it to you when you need to give data dump to their developers.

It seems like IDrive somehow refreshes the backup set selections a bit late - you need to execute backup a few times before seeing the effect in logs. For example, if you add a path to the backup set, the related errors won’t appear in the next backup. In the one after that one, they usually do.

Hopefully, this helps people who can't find good alternative solutions for backup.

Last edited by fohwomp (2022-07-19 21:09:44)

#10 2022-07-04 17:19:45

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Wow, what an excellent, detailed and most informative reply: THANK YOU! I'm sure it will be a great help for others, but I have since ended my subscription with IDrive...not because I am displeased with their service, but I find that Google Drive more than meets my simple backup needs, and I'm saving money.

#11 2023-01-06 12:19:28

Fotog

I discovered my IDrive had this issue this morning (wef 22:30 last night).  Whilst informative, this thread (specifically fohwomp's detailed post) did not provide me with the information to stop the continual 'loop'.

However, I found that editing the frequency of the schedule interrupted the loop and it did not restart thereafter.

It's worth a try if your system is affected.

I did set 'Optimize CPU resources', but this setting did not stop the loop, albeit it might later have prevented it recurring ... time will/might tell.

#12 2023-06-28 03:02:05

suzanneshaps

Hi!

I have a mid-2015 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.6.6.

I had the same problem.  I was helped by IDrive's tech support.  Here is what they had me do, and it worked.  And the fan stopped running constantly.I hope this helps someone else!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please disable Continuous data protection and follow the below steps:

Please install the latest application version on your machine from the below link

https://www.IDrive.com/thankyou_mac

Then please recreate the backup set before starting the next backup. Please follow the below steps.

1. Please log in to the IDrive desktop application

2. Click on the "change" button.

3. Uncheck/ deselect the files and folders which you have selected in the backup set

4. Click on the "ok" tab

5. Click on the "change" button.

6. Select the files and folders you want to backup then click on the "OK" tab

7. Then click on "Backup Now" or schedule the backup.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam