Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-06-21 22:12:06

TroyBayliss

Guidance re new IDrive install following Windows 8.1 ‘Refresh’

Hi Steve

Had setup IDrive as a cloud backup facility re a couple of laptops, and using the same encryption key with each. Able to view respective cloud backups from each device within the ‘Restore’ function space. So access to all devices backed data from either device – how I like it.

Did have a previous incident with, lets call it Device A, where IDrive installation had become corrupted, and so dysfunctional. I reached out to yourself re that matter – Case ‘Cannot open main Interface and auto backs not running’ in the Glitches and Snags section. The solution was to install IDrive over the top of the corrupt installation, use Revo Uninstaller to facilitate a Restore Point, then a normal uninstall, then its thorough ‘fragments’ cleanup; followed by a new ‘clean’ install. IDrive accepted the usual username and login and went straight to its backup function without needing any encryption key confirmation.

Now. Device B.

Device B is running Windows 8.1 and had been getting fairly slow and generally ‘cluttered’ I chose to do a Windows ‘Refresh’, which cleaned up the OS and removed most utility software I had installed, including IDrive. Currently working through getting rid of the ‘original’ installation bloatware and so forth, as well as installing utility software I need; including IDrive.

When IDrive installed, it accepted username and password, then went straight to encryption key interface presenting the non zero knowledge option, and the user created zero knowledge option.

I then accessed ‘Restore’ section of logged in IDrive interface on Device A and can see Device A backup; however, there is no Device B backup visible; and I do not understand why Device B data has not persist in the ‘Restore’ space.

I did not proceed further, and seek your advice re next steps, in context of the above.

Is it that Device B needs to start from scratch all over again – ie; start backing from zero all over again?

Why would device Bs previous backup content not have persisted in the ‘Restore’ space? I find that data backup disappearance quite concerning re product reliability. Is there a setting I possibly had not selected?

Your guidance and insights most welcome.

Regards

#2 2022-06-22 00:02:23

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Guidance re new IDrive install following Windows 8.1 ‘Refresh’

Can you still see your data from IDrive's website - either from "Cloud Backup" or the actual Dashboard?

I can't imagine why this would happen, you may need to brave IDrive Support!

Use the online chat during California office hours (GMT-7) and ask to be connected to an engineer, otherwise you'll be wasting your time with a helpdesk operator reading from a script.

#3 2022-07-26 10:04:35

TroyBayliss

Hi Steve

I unfortunately was taken absent from our forum discussion and from the laptop of interest, for quite a while -- due to unforseen circumstances -- back now.

And many thanks for your guidance re previous post.

I have logged into IDrive on another laptop I also do backups from -- and when selecting Restore tab, and then selecting device drop-down, can see data previously backed up from the 'problem' laptop device - so that is good news.

I also again successfully logged into IDrive interface on the 'problem' laptop, and then provided my Private encryption key when asked, and got a popup saying 'Unable to continue the operation as the private encryption key verification failed.'

I presume your advice is still to reach out to an engineer at IDrive Support during California business hours -- is that correct?

Regards

#4 2022-07-26 16:57:15

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TroyBayliss wrote:

I presume your advice is still to reach out to an engineer at IDrive Support during California business hours -- is that correct?

I think so - I can't think of a solution for this.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam