Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2018-02-23 17:13:43

SteveA
Administrator
Website

100 kB/s upload speed

Just before the official forum went belly-up, I posted in the thead 100 kB/s upload speed.

I never got a response, so I'm recreating it here!

Dominik wrote:

Hi,
after testing the free account (~900 kB/s) and buying a 5TB plan, I get now only 100 kB/s upload speed on my QNAP NAS. I tested the speed several times to several severs in California and get almost always full upload speed (900 kB/s). Upload speed to Amazon servers is constantly full speed. I already sent an error report and contacted the customer services -> no success. With this speed it's just ridiculous to upload ~5TB...

Marcel74 wrote:

Hi,
that ist my problem too! I'm using Synology NAS and upload ist ~100kB/s after purchasing 5TB. It ist easy to calculate how long it takes to upload 5TB :-((((

IDrive wrote:

Please let us know the ticket number that was assigned to you when the issue was reported. We will review the ticket and will contact you with an update.

Dominik wrote:

Hi Marcel,
I've got now an appointment for a remote session with IDrive. I will keep you updated.
Interestingly, I figured out that if I create a "Backup set" for every subfolder (there are 7), the upload speed increases to ~700kB/s. For me it looks like, that IDrive caps the upload speed at 100kB/s per connection.
Probably I will now get the standard reply, that IDrive doesn't cap the upload speed. But now I'm really interested, how you can explain this!

GrahamN wrote:

As per my other post I too have hit the 100Kbs upload issue also using a Synology NAS. Until a few weeks ago we had it running at 30+MBps. I always liked the IDrive client on the Synology because we could get these speeds. The Windows client on Server 2012 would never upload at more than 8MBps - from exactly the same network.

IDrive wrote:

@ GrahamN Our development team is looking into this. We will contact you with an update as soon as we hear from our development team.

Dominik wrote:

Hi,
I tried to have a remote session today, but nobody of the development team was available...

IDrive wrote:

@Dominik We will reschedule the session and will contact you with an update. Please let us know the ticket number that was assigned to you.

Ivando wrote:

Same thing here... Just started a 2y 5TB subscription.
DS918+ and the upload speed is horrible... 100kb/s
It would take 99d 17h to finish my upload. Seriously?

Dominik wrote:

From own experiments and all the forum posts I can now certainly conclude, that IDrive caps the transfer rates. There are now three options:
1. You uncap the transfer speeds (that's what I and probably everyone else would prefer)
2. You clearly state somewhere, that You cap the speeds at 100 kB/s (at least one would know, what one buys)
3. You refund the money due to obviously giving false promises ("IDrive does not cap the transfer speed")
I demand a statement about this here in the forum so that everyone can read it, because handing people over to the support hasn't brought any light into the darkness.

uffecallesen wrote:

I have the same problem using the Synology IDrive client (Version 2.03.34). Thank god I still have my Crashplan subscription on the side (getting 17 Mbps on that).
I don't think a cap on the bandwidth is completely unacceptable - but it's got to be way higher than 100 kbps !!
I have the *same* job running with IDrive and Crashplan right now - IDrive requires 30 Days to complete - Crashplan requires 2.4 days....

tuxbox wrote:

Hi, exactly the same happened to me. While trying out i could use nearly full of my 38MBps upload speed for backing up, but short after purchasing the connections get cut at about 100 kByte/s.
I got many tickets, but nothing really happened or got solved..

IDrive wrote:

@tuxbox Could you please share us the ticket number that was assigned to you. We will review the ticket and will contact you with an update.

GaryS wrote:

Same problem here. Ticket ID850703495 This is unusable.

Dominik wrote:

I don't know what exactly happened or changed, but since a couple of days I get almost constantly full upload speed (~950kB/s) on my NAS. I hope it will stay like this.

GrahamN wrote:

As I posted on another "slow upload speed" thread things have improved in the last 10 days or so. Over the weekend I was able to backup 360GB in 24 hours which is what like it was until about the 2nd week of December. Then there was about 4 weeks when it wouldn't run above 1MBps.
I really want to hear from IDrive what has been going on. I cannot continue with the service if data transfer could be capped or otherwise curtailed like this again especially if there is no acknowledgement or explanation. I cannot believe there was not a cap because when it was slow it was a rock solid 1MBps without any variation. We are using the Business Package 1.25TB and it is due for renewal in a few weeks.

Nathaniel D wrote:

Same problem here. For the first 2 days or so I was getting around 1.2MB/s, now I am uploading at around 100KB/s.
I contacted by email and in chat, they asked for a bug report which I sent, and then asked me to restart and run as admin, with no change of course. They said the technical team will get back to me but so far no change.
This is utterly ridiculous. I will definitely look for alternative solutions if I am not given a decent reply as to whats happening and the problem fixed soon.
It has taken days to upload a couple dozen GBs!!
Ticket #ID954723504

Rav3n wrote:

Yep... had several contacts with the ussport per E-Mail....
There are two things:
- They don't understand how the client works
- Explained to them, that the issue is reproducible on different computer but in same network
- Run as Admin does not bring anything
Right now uploading with 1.55 Mb/S.... yesterday about 1,99kb/s - 570 kb/s...

Also, uploading files per Web is working with normal speed, means I'm getitng full 25mb/s.
Further, its not clear why there are only one IDEVSUTIL.EXE running and sometimes more.

IDrive wrote:

@ Nathaniel D We are looking into this, we will contact you with an update soon.

Florian wrote:

I have the same issue. About 100kbs with a >50Mbs connection to the internet with my Synology NAS.
My ticket number is ID481541262

IDrive wrote:

@Florian Our development team has requested for remote access. Please let us know if you have received the email sent by our Tier 2 technical support team

#2 2018-02-23 17:19:05

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: 100 kB/s upload speed

I've just moved from a legacy account to the latest offering. The legacy account upload speeds have been terrible for a while.

For the first month my upload speeds on the new system were good. After a month, I started to get very slow speeds again.

One interesting thing I noticed is, for the first month, my IDrive client programs were uploading to servers in the 66.51.0.0/51 IP range, but after the slow-down, the target had changed to 148.66.192.0/18.

I wonder if the 66.51 is fed by a big uncontended pipe to make new customers happy, but once they take their eye off the ball, they're switched to the "general" pipe which is over-saturated.

Thoughts anyone?

#3 2018-09-18 14:07:41

surfnrad

I'm curious where your upload speed ended up.  CrashPlan had a speed meter that showed the speed at all times.  I don't see something like that in IDrive.  Is there a meter, or do you just need to calculate?  I'm currently calculating by watching the completed files amount of GB and start and stop a stopwatch based on the changing numbers.  E.g. it took 69 sec to go from 111.14 to 111.17 GB.  So that's 30MB/69sec = 0.43 MB/s = 3.5 Mbps.  This is with the Bandwidth throttle at 100%.  Is that about what others are getting currently?
Incidentally, in the FAQ it says to mouse hover over the tray icon to see the speed, but mine just says "There is no backup attempt since 3 days" --I have not scheduled any backups yet since it is running a really long initial backup that was started on demand.

Last edited by surfnrad (2018-09-18 14:21:45)

#4 2018-09-18 15:05:10

SteveA
Administrator
Website

My router measures upload / download stats for individual clients and totals for the Internet connections.

At the moment I seem to get a maximum of 2Mbps for individual IDrive clients. If I run 3 simultaneous backups from different clients, they will all still achieve 2Mbps (6Mbps total), so it seems that there is a cap of 2Mbps for each client.

There were numerous threads on the old forum about capped speeds and IDrive always denied their existence!

#5 2019-06-25 17:20:51

miketherunner

Was this issue ever resolved? I have a similar issue... especially doing an image backup... taking the image alone can take days ... and when it uploads to cloud it can take a week or more... I have plenty of bandwidth on my end

#6 2019-06-25 17:35:33

SteveA
Administrator
Website

I don't really monitor it anymore because the speed is adequate for my incremental backups, however, looking at my traffic graphs I can see that a big chunk of data was uploaded this morning at an average of 5Mbps, which is not exactly blistering!

The speed was slightly lower in the evening (UK) yesterday, which indicates its affected by congestion.

#7 2019-12-03 10:02:46

rfurb

Unfortunately I have given up on IDrive. As we can see in this forum, the situation is always the same: We get low transfer speeds and they treat these cases as  they were just individual occurrences, never admitting they do some kind of speed throttling. Goodbye forever IDrive.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam