Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2018-09-15 16:58:21

surfnrad

Permission errors

I've just completed my first backups and it seems my most important folders, such as Documents\My Pictures have been excluded because of file permission problems "There is no permission to backup the folder."  Any insights?  In a Google search, I found that someone else who had this problem ended up solving it by giving IDrive support access to his computer and they changed some permissions and got it working.  I'm very hesitant to give anyone I don't personally know full remote access to my computer.  Additionally, in the Settings tab, there are several excluded folders, including the problem ones, but I'm not able to remove them from the excluded list, by unchecking or trying to delete.  Are the backups failing since the folder is on this list or is the folder stuck and unremovable from this list because of underlying permissions issues?

#2 2018-09-15 17:31:22

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Permission errors

When I set mine up I tried to select all of c:\users but it balked at many of the system folders (appdata etc).

It also doesn't seem to like the shortcuts ("My Documents", "My Pictures"), so I selected the real folders from c:\users\profilename\, eg. Documents, Pictures, Videos etc.

If you do this, however, you need to keep a check that you are backing up any new folders you create later in your profile directory.

#3 2018-09-15 20:41:45

surfnrad

Thanks--that makes some sense.  I didn't notice the difference.  In "Files for Online backup" there are C:\Users\(profilename)\Documents, C:\Users\(profilename)\Pictures, etc.  But the exclusions are a bit different:  C:\Users\(profilename)\Documents\My Pictures, etc.  So it likely did really back up all the correct files, just avoiding the exclusions listed within the target folders.

#4 2018-09-15 20:58:10

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Yes I think you're right - in my case I probably accidentally removed all the pre-selected folders from c:\users\(profilename) so had to re-add them manually.

Of course in Windows versions prior to Vista, the folders really were named "My Documents", "My Pictures" etc. in "c:\Documents and Settings", but Vista introduced the c:\users folder for profiles and "My..." symbolic links were included to retain backwards compatibility.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam