Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-09-10 22:27:04

bfs208

Local Backup Extra Files

I have a local backup process that runs every night.  It backs up to mapped drive ( Z: ) that is on my NAS. What I expect is that any files that have been added or changed will be backed up. There are about 40,000 files in the backup. What the log indicates is that approximately 700 files that have not changed get backed up every day.  I suppose this isn't the worst thing that can happen but it would be nice if it didn't do that.
Anyone have any ideas how to stop this behavior?

My regular backups to the cloud don't do this.

IDrive technical support has been no help.

Last edited by bfs208 (2022-09-10 22:31:54)

#2 2022-09-11 01:29:02

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Local Backup Extra Files

Are these 700 files a particular type of file?

Could something be setting the archive bit on them?

#3 2022-09-11 23:06:16

bfs208

Most of the files are .psd.  When I list one of the directories that contains the one of the files, all of the files have the A attribute, but only one psd file is incorrectly back up even though all of the files in the directory have the A attribute. Other extensions are .xmp and .arw.

#4 2022-09-11 23:27:43

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Archive attribute maybe a red herring. I think IDrive ignores it anyway. Its an archaic method to determine if a file needs to be backed up.

Are these files actually getting backed up or do they fail, hence continually retrying?

There may be more clues in Tracefile.txt:

C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-user-\Tracefile.txt

#5 2022-09-11 23:49:43

bfs208

I haven't seen any indication of these files failing to be backed up.  I looked at Tracefile.txt and didn't see anything that I recognized as indicating any failure to back up for any particular files.

Thanks for your ideas.  I don't really have much of an idea where to look for an explanation.

#6 2022-09-12 20:39:37

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Is it possible that Photoshop is "touching" these files when you load it and changing the last-modified dates?

Are both your Windows computer and NAS synched to an ntp (time) server and in the same timezone?

Timezone shouldn't really matter because IDrive should be working in UTC and doing the necessary conversions.

I admit I'm clutching at straws here wink

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam