Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2023-03-18 20:38:51

mnielsen

How to deal with data moving after Windows reinstall

Hi,

I've been using IDrive for a few years now.

Some info on how to deal with a problem I ran into.  I had 700GB of data (photos mostly) stored in C:\Documents that was backed up to IDrive.  I reinstalled windows on an new SSD which became my C: drive.  My old drive then became D:.  So now my real data was on D:\Documents but IDrive had it mapped as C:\Documents.  IDrive technical support gave the sage advise to delete the data off of IDrive and re-add and backup the new location.  This would mean I would have to transfer 700GB of data over the wire to IDrive again.  With Comcast's 1.2TB monthly limit and the amount of video streaming we do, that was not a preferred option.   

This is not a solution for me but might work for some folks (untested): Create a shortcut on the C: drive pointing to the old drive.  Unfortunately in Windows 10+ I couldn't seem to create a shortcut in the root of C: (i.e. C:\Documents).

The solution that worked (in case it wasn't as obvious to you as it wasn't obvious to me): Create a symbolic link in C: pointing to the location on D:.  Yes, Windows seams to have symbolic links now (something inspired from Linux). Open a windows power shell (might work with normal cmd.exe also?) with administrator privilege (click Windows icon, type "Windows Power Shell", right-click on the power shell icon and select "Run as Administrator").  Then enter the command (replace link location: C:\Documents and target location D:\Documents with your locations):

New-Item -ItemType SymbolicLink -Path "C:\Documents" -Target "D:\Documents"

This works because while the data is actually stored on D:\Documents, the symbolic link makes it look like it is also stored on C:\Documents thereby allowing IDrive to traverse C:\Documents like it used to.

Hope this helps others.

-Mike

#2 2023-03-18 20:45:45

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: How to deal with data moving after Windows reinstall

Thanks for the tip Mike. Very useful information.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam