Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2023-12-08 02:16:36

CindyPgh
Website

Cloud-Drive Sync Issue

I searched for this issue and couldn't find it in previous posts, so please forgive me if I am missing something.

Background - I used MS OneDrive for 5 years without problems; then ditched it last year after having had enough of its unreliability. I then tried Google Drive.  It worked well for a couple weeks; then it was also unreliable. I then signed up for IDrive.  It has been fairly reliable until recently, when I have had to reinstall it repeatedly.

I travel between 3 cities fairly regularly.  I have desktops in each location, and a laptop I travel with.  I turn off the desktops when I leave.  When I turn on a desktop or my laptop and sync to my Cloud-Drive, any files that were deleted or moved on another machine are synced up to Cloud-Drive.  IDrive does not recognize that I have deleted the file and that it should delete it on the other synced machines.  OneDrive used to be flawless in this regard, years ago.  I could use any of my computers and my files were always current.  Now I have to delete every file manually on every machine or it will copy up and down again.

It seems such an elementary problem.  What am I missing here? 
Kathleen Matlock

The trick about life is to make it look easy.

#2 2024-03-31 13:22:04

bribri

Re: Cloud-Drive Sync Issue

I don't log into this forum very often, so apologies for replying to this a bit late.

I will say that I have not used IDrive Cloud Sync at all. I use IDrive strictly for backups.

For your scenario, you might want to look into Syncthing (and the Windows client SyncTrayzor). I use this to sync various folders across multiple machines. It can be a bit challenging to configure, since it doesn't have the most user-friendly interface. But it does exactly what you're talking about. It's basically a OneDrive or Dropbox service but completely private and peer-to-peer. I've had good success with it.

The only issue you might have is the fact that you said you turn the computers off when you leave each place. If you sync all of the computers with each other, then you could sync your laptop with your desktop at a location, then turn the desktop off. When you arrive at your next location, if you turn that desktop back on, it will sync with your laptop.

Hope this helps.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam