Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2018-09-27 02:36:17

YourComputerGuy

IDrive Dashboard and Classic View show different backup status

Hi everybody,

I've been using IDrive for over two years now, using their bulk reseller program, where I buy 2500GB bucket and then use sub-accounts to create 50GB chunks for customers.
It works ok for the most part but the Dashboard is useless and many times I had to call customers to make sure their backups actually work, as I can trust anything that I see on the dashboard.

Recent example...
This customer is using Macbook.
On the list of subaccounts, it appears that his backup was successful on the 24th of September
https://i.imgur.com/UWPxoHd.jpg

The dashboard says it was a week ago!
https://i.imgur.com/PEHwWTz.jpg

Yet I can't see any logs
https://i.imgur.com/XxNhN2R.jpg

Exactly the same thing happens with Windows customers as well. The backup statuses would update for a while and then stop. The backups actually run and users receive notifications about them but the dashboard doesn't update. I've been fighting with their support for a few months now and feel like I'm getting nowhere. They just ask me to reinstall the software, run updates, things like that. Indeed, it fixes the issue for a while.

Their response is "the client software updates the dashboard". Oh really? Don't they have some kind of a database where the backup logs and statuses are stored? If they do, why does the "classic view" and "dashboard" show different information? Are they using two different databases to store the same type of info? They don't answer!

Instead, they want me to keep sending logs from customers computers and I don't want to bother anybody. Can't IDrive test their dashboard internally? Even after I do send logs, they just say "oh, just update the software". I want it to update automatically! I don't have time to babysit the backups.

Last edited by YourComputerGuy (2018-09-27 02:37:58)

#2 2018-10-01 14:32:34

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive Dashboard and Classic View show different backup status

Is the clue in "This computer is offline"?

Although I don't have any experience with the bulk re-seller program, I've noticed that with the regular product, the web interface requires the remote client to be online and connected to IDrive to view logs. It doesn't seem that the logs are synchronized with IDrive's servers for offline viewing.

#3 2018-10-01 23:16:03

YourComputerGuy

Re: IDrive Dashboard and Classic View show different backup status

I use an RMM tool (to help customers remotely) and even if IDrive shows their computers are offline, I can see that they actually are online. Updating the software fixes the problem for a while, I guess it just disconnects from the dashboard every once in a while.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam