Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2019-07-19 20:43:02

ejoynerregcorp

IDrive Server Backup Error "There is no permission to backup file"

Hello!

I recently accepted a position as the new (and first) systems administrator for a company. I'm digging through, trying to learn their environment and how to fix it to meet current industry standards. (Nuking it from orbit and starting in a new colony is sounding more and more appealing as I investigate ever deeper)

They use IDrive to back up several of their drives. On one particular server, they have a series of consistent failures on about 19 files/folders. It gives the "There is no permission to backup file" error for them. Thinking maybe someone encrypted the files, I went and checked them out. All of them have the same issue when I opened their properties: they have no app associated on the server for them. For example, one might be named 'somesuperawesomegraphicfile.ai'. Now, most servers don't have Adobe Illustrator on installed on them...so naturally, it says it doesn't have an app associated with the file. Others are 'itsjustaname.cdr' and 'whatkindofweirdfontisthis.ttf'. These all error, all have no application to associate them to.

These are all on different drives, different folders, but they all have the same failure explanation. It's ONLY the ones with no application associated on this server.

Is this something that's common with IDrive? Is there a way around this?

#2 2019-07-19 20:57:51

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive Server Backup Error "There is no permission to backup file"

Lack of a file type associations shouldn't make any difference (its not a "permission").

Have you tried associating .cdr with (for example) notepad.exe and see if those files are then backed up?

#3 2019-07-19 21:33:50

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Another thought, what account is the IDriveService running under?

The default would be Local System account, however you could also try a Local or Domain account with Administrator privileges.

#4 2020-10-26 00:43:14

jbweb

For weeks I have not been able to back up my wife's computer on IDrive because of this error, and I finally sat down to figure out why.

This was happening in the Pictures folder, specifically in the Icloud photos area.
The presenting problem is that the file appears not to have permissions for the Drive service doing the backup.  I tried
   Change the user the service logs on with from SYSTEM to the user. No.
   Take ownership of the folder and files as the user using folder properties.  No.
   A bunch of other screwing around.

I noticed that the files do not have icons of the images contained therein.  Also in the properties of the file, the size on disk is 0.  When you select the file, it seems to download from Onedrive.  Aha!  Icloud.  at first I thought it was Onedrive.

Apple now allows an attribute on the iCloud Photos folder in Quick Access, or also on the photo files themselves, that it would upload the files to the Cloud, and then then delete them as offline-only.  I certainly did not do it.  See https://support.apple.com....5ef/icloud

IDrive cannot deal with this in normal operation, though there is an option in Onedrive to allow local apps to download on the fly when needed.  As you can see, I have not spent a ton of time finding all the angles.

So, if you pick your iCloud folder, anywhere, like on the Quick Access menu, or in Explorer, right click, and select "Always keep on this device", it will download them again so they are on the PC.  And IDrive will work correctly.  It takes a while for 2000 images!

I don't know yet if other files are involved, but will return here to add to this answer when I learn more.

Last edited by jbweb (2020-10-26 00:50:57)

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam