Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2020-05-10 15:55:38

Chaucer

IDrive; Restore files to mapped drive error

Hi,

I'm trying to conduct a restore of files using I drive.

I'm trying to restore to a mapped external drive (attached to my router).

I keep getting the error  "Folder does not exist"

I am able to successfully restore files to my "c" drive.

I can copy and paste other files directly to the mapped hard drive so I know the mapped harddrive is recognized and active.   Just can't restore them from I-drive directly

any thoughts

I chatted with the I drive help line and they were no help.

Thank you

#2 2020-05-10 16:05:25

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive; Restore files to mapped drive error

The IDrive service logs in locally as "Local System" so I wonder if it has permissions to write to your external server.

Are there any authentication errors on your remote server, or in the IDrive restore log?

#3 2020-05-10 16:30:28

Chaucer

This is the I drive log error:

"Z" is the mapped harddrive and I created a folder inside "Z" called "Y drive files 5_10_2020"

[ERROR] [05/10/2020 9:44:08] [Z:\Restored Y Drive Files 05_10_2020  Reason: File / Folder does not exist]

Also; I-drive does successfully back up from the mapped "Z" drive, so it can access it for the regular back up function, just not restore

Thank you

Last edited by Chaucer (2020-05-10 16:36:31)

#4 2020-05-10 16:52:47

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Chaucer wrote:

"Z" is the mapped harddrive and I created a folder inside "Z" called "Y drive files 5_10_2020"

[ERROR] [05/10/2020 9:44:08] [Z:\Restored Y Drive Files 05_10_2020  Reason: File / Folder does not exist]

These two are different - the 2nd one is prefixed with "Restored". Also the case is different, which would matter if your NAS has a Unix file system.

#5 2020-05-10 17:57:08

Chaucer

SteveA wrote:

Chaucer wrote:

These two are different - the 2nd one is prefixed with "Restored". Also the case is different, which would matter if your NAS has a Unix file system.

Sorry, they are identical.  Just didn't completely type the first one.

Z:\Restored Y Drive Files 05_10_2020

#6 2020-05-10 18:51:25

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Are you able to restore to a simpler folder name, for example Z:\test ... ?

I wonder if the spaces in the folder name are causing an issue (although I just tested that here and it didn't!)

Also are you sure you have write permissions on the NAS?

#7 2020-05-10 19:16:01

Chaucer

Yes, I have write privilege's because I place a file there to check.

tks

#8 2020-05-10 20:03:43

SteveA
Administrator
Website

This is a long-shot, but you could try setting IDriveService to log in as your own Windows account.

I'm wondering the NAS is only giving read access to IDrive because its not running under your account.

You can change it from Services:

https://backupforum.progforums.com/BackupForum/images/IDriveServiceLogon.png

Just out of interest, you say your router is acting as the NAS - what router is it?

#9 2020-05-10 20:18:09

Chaucer

You mean change it from "local service account" to "This account"  It is already set to local service account.

It is a Verizon fios provided router.

what started this was my other backup crashed.  So I bought new WD my cloud back up.  So I've trying to restore my backed up files from I drive to the new harddrive (connected to my router).

I think there is a way to connect the hard rive directly to my laptop, but I think you need to change it to a static IP and set the IPs for both the laptop and router.  I've looked on line to do this, but it confuses me.

I was thinking it may work if it's connected directly to my laptop (at least I wanted to try that.)

I was on I Drive chat for about 1 hour and they could not figure it out.  They had me update to a more recent version.  But it made no differences.  They said they would email me any updates.  I do plan to call tomorrow and see what they say.

Thank you for the help

#10 2020-05-10 20:43:30

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Chaucer wrote:

You mean change it from "local service account" to "This account"  It is already set to local service account.

Yes, then enter your own credentials.

It is a Verizon fios provided router.

what started this was my other backup crashed.  So I bought new WD my cloud back up.  So I've trying to restore my backed up files from I drive to the new harddrive (connected to my router).

Ah - I see, it's a NAS itself - I thought you had a USB hard disk plugged into the router (some routers can do this).

I think there is a way to connect the hard drive directly to my laptop, but I think you need to change it to a static IP and set the IPs for both the laptop and router.  I've looked on line to do this, but it confuses me.

I was thinking it may work if it's connected directly to my laptop (at least I wanted to try that.)

I think you would run into the same problem, because you're not just connecting a hard-disk, its still a network device.

Depending on how your laptop's configured, you may find that you can't connect to your router by WiFi while the Ethernet port is connected to the NAS, so you wouldn't be able to reach IDrive (or anything).

When you mapped your Z: drive to the NAS originally, did you authenticate with a username and password?

I notice in IDrive, they also have an option to authenticate in Settings / Mapped Drive Setup. Did you put your credentials in there too?

#11 2020-05-10 22:37:42

Chaucer

SteveA wrote:

Chaucer wrote:

Yes, then enter your own credentials.

Not sure what I would put here

SteveA wrote:

When you mapped your Z: drive to the NAS originally, did you authenticate with a username and password?

Yes

SteveA wrote:

I notice in IDrive, they also have an option to authenticate in Settings / Mapped Drive Setup. Did you put your credentials in there too?

Yes

#12 2020-05-10 23:01:54

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Chaucer wrote:

Not sure what I would put here

The username (profile name) you use on your computer. But before playing with this, let's try...

SteveA wrote:

I notice in IDrive, they also have an option to authenticate in Settings / Mapped Drive Setup. Did you put your credentials in there too?[/quote=Chaucer]
Yes

On my configuration I have authentication turned OFF in the IDrive settings, and I can backup and restore to a mapped drive just fine. So I'm suggesting that you turn it off, then see if you can restore to your NAS.

The only problem I can foresee is backups and restores of the mapped drive will only work if the computer is logged on.

#13 2020-05-11 00:03:58

Chaucer

SteveA wrote:

On my configuration I have authentication turned OFF in the IDrive settings, and I can backup and restore to a mapped drive just fine. So I'm suggesting that you turn it off, then see if you can restore to your NAS.

I've tried it with it off before and it didn't make a difference, but I've turned it off again

Question: When you click restore, a box comes up "Restore Now" and then a box comes up and says "Where to restore".  You then select the location.  My mapped harddrive does show up there and I select a folder in side the drive.  Is that what you see/do?

#14 2020-05-11 00:31:14

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Chaucer wrote:

Question: When you click restore, a box comes up "Restore Now" and then a box comes up and says "Where to restore".  You then select the location.  My mapped harddrive does show up there and I select a folder in side the drive.  Is that what you see/do?

That's exactly what I see, and once I choose a location it is remembered between sessions.

#15 2020-05-11 01:10:05

Chaucer

SteveA wrote:

Chaucer wrote:

That's exactly what I see, and once I choose a location it is remembered between sessions.

Hmm..this is so baffling why it won't let me save to the mapped drive.  The error "No folder exists" seems like it doesn't see it.  I would think if it was an access issue, it would say something like that.  Obviously a setting somewhere.  Seems like on my computer, since it was restore to my C drive.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam