Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2020-05-31 15:25:45

lot5511

Linux Dashboard

Does anyone use the Dashboard from a Linux system?
I can't connect to the Dashboard from my Ubuntu Linux machine.  This worked shortly after the feature was introduced but now it simply will not connect.  The Dashboard daemon is running. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

#2 2020-06-01 21:47:19

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux Dashboard

I haven't tried this myself - do you mean you load a service on the Linux machine then configure your backups through IDrive's web interface, or are you referring to a Linux graphical client (like the Windows one)?

There don't seem to be any resources available from IDrive's web site, just an instruction to contact their Support if you want to get hold of the scripts!

#3 2020-07-24 19:46:21

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

SteveA wrote:

I haven't tried this myself - do you mean you load a service on the Linux machine then configure your backups through IDrive's web interface, or are you referring to a Linux graphical client (like the Windows one)?

Maybe this isn't the right thread, because my problem has nothing to do with scripts, but is about the dashboard...using their web interface. In dashboard, when I click on my computer link, it says it's offline. This is in Linux Mint BTW. There is no option to go online...but I AM online because I'm on the 'net! I'm under the impression you don't need to run any script to use their web interface. Strangely, in Windows it also says my system is offline! (I run a dual-boot system, and my IDrive account is a very simple setup: 1 laptop, 1 user.)

In Windows, the IDrive app works fine, FYI. But not the dashboard web interface.

Last edited by Zeke (2020-07-24 19:47:31)

Brindlekin Tales (or "Flaco & Lucky: a Tale of 2 Doggies")
https://zekeblog.wordpress.com/brindlekin-tales/

#4 2020-07-26 01:14:23

SteveA
Administrator
Website

From reading this information on the IDrive web site: https://www.IDrive.com/readme

I believe you would, at a minimum, need to copy the scripts and run login.pl and authenticate your Linux machine to IDrive's servers.

If you are not logged in to your IDrive account while setting up your script bundle, run the below command to login:
$./login.pl

Note:

Login script is a mandatory script to be executed before performing any operation. This script will authenticate your IDrive account details and will create a secure session for your backups.

When you try to authenticate an IDrive account using email address, it will prompt the username list which is associated with that email address. Then you have to select the particular username to authenticate.

I think then you will find your computer will show as "online" in the IDrive web interface.

#5 2020-07-26 01:38:39

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

SteveA wrote:

From reading this information on the IDrive web site: https://www.IDrive.com/readme

I believe you would, at a minimum, need to copy the scripts and run login.pl and authenticate your Linux machine to IDrive's servers.

That only applies to script-driven IDrive activities. That has nothing to do with the online dashboard. I have used other backup services with web based interfaces (as an alternative to installing and running their own app), and none of them required running some app in the background, before you could upload or download your files. You just clicked and dragged whatever folders/files you chose, into the web page console. lot5511, the OP for this thread, seems to be having the same problem.

At any rate, the web console (Dashboard) doesn't work in Windows, either...even though the IDrive app is running in the background. Still says my system is not online...and lately, when I click on my computer link, the screen just turns gray and freezes. Here is the video about IDrive's Dashboard:

https://www.IDrive.com/videos#Web

Select the "dashboard" video. Have you checked out the web interface yourself, yet...to see what the dashboard looks like? After clicking on the dashboard link, you then need to click on your computer link. Of course, you first have to log into IDrive.com to do all this. According to this IDrive page, the web dashboard is an ALTERNATIVE to running any scripts:

https://www.IDrive.com/online-backup-linux

Sign in via the web

Sign in to the IDrive web interface, and all your connected Linux machines will appear in the Computers tab. Select the Linux machine you wish to backup and remotely configure backup set, manage backup schedules, settings etc. via the centralized web console.

Backup using scripts

Alternatively use IDrive scripts package to protect your Linux data. After downloading the scripts follow the instructions provided in the readme.txt file or visit our scripts page for more information.

Last edited by Zeke (2020-07-26 01:48:11)

#6 2020-07-26 01:59:56

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Zeke wrote:

That only applies to script-driven IDrive activities. That has nothing to do with the online dashboard. I have used other backup services with web based interfaces (as an alternative to installing and running their own app), and none of them required running some app in the background, before you could upload or download your files. You just clicked and dragged whatever folders/files you chose, into the web page console.

Think about your Windows PC. It is running a service called IDriveService, which is handling connections and authentication to IDrive. It runs at startup and doesn't rely on the IDrive backup client software to work.

Linux must need the same sort of thing in order to work, and I believe that will be installed when you run the login.pl script.

If you have used another backup solution that works without a background service, it must be doing it through the web browser session.

At any rate, the web console (Dashboard) doesn't work in Windows, either...even though the IDrive app is running in the background. Still says my system is not online...and lately, when I click on my computer link, the screen just turns gray and freezes.

You mean you can't access your Linux machine, or any machine?

I have heard reports of their Web interface being flaky. I don't tend to use it myself because the two-factor authentication is a PITA, but I am familiar with it, and I have experienced the non-responsive screen.

#7 2020-07-26 02:03:20

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Zeke wrote:

Sign in via the web

Sign in to the IDrive web interface, and all your connected Linux machines will appear in the Computers tab. Select the Linux machine you wish to backup and remotely configure backup set, manage backup schedules, settings etc. via the centralized web console.

Backup using scripts

Alternatively use IDrive scripts package to protect your Linux data. After downloading the scripts follow the instructions provided in the readme.txt file or visit our scripts page for more information.

Right, but how do your Linux machines become connected Linux machines ?

#8 2020-07-26 02:06:02

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Did you also see this bit?

Getting started with Linux backup via the web
To initiate backup, all you need to do is setup your Linux servers and machines with the IDrive scripts package and sign in via the web.

Its ambiguous, but I think they're saying you have to install the scripts pack either way!

#9 2020-07-26 02:45:01

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Okay, I get it now...but I only wanted to backup the same computer I'm working from. You'd think since I'm already logged in, it would allow me to use the web interface. I get the Linux server setups using the scripts, and all that. Other backup services I used, had the web alternative for backing up, without running a program...at least, from the system you're using at the moment. This is different, but web dashboard doesn't work in Windows, even with the IDrive app running. Maybe it doesn't recognize the computer you're on right now...it may need at least one other registered on the dashboard. But I don't know if it will work even when I get the server correctly set up. Thanks for everyone's help.

#10 2020-07-30 09:49:08

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

lot5511 wrote:

Does anyone use the Dashboard from a Linux system?
I can't connect to the Dashboard from my Ubuntu Linux machine.  This worked shortly after the feature was introduced but now it simply will not connect.  The Dashboard daemon is running. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works.

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem as you, because I'm not sure if you're talking about the dashboard.pl script, or the web-based Dashboard you load in your browser. In my case, it's the web dashboard. Here is the query I just emailed to their support team:

Dear IDrive:

"This is in Linux Mint 20. I successfully logged in via the terminal, using login.pl script. Then I went to IDrive.com with my Firefox browser, and was successfully logged in there, too. Then I clicked on "Dashboard," then "Computers." Then I selected my computer link, "X230," and the screen went gray, and seemed to freeze up. I was hoping to back up my home directory, using this web interface that your service so kindly provides...but no dice. Does the "Computers" link on Dashboard even work right? Thanks for your attention. FYI: I am not attempting a backup from a remote system, just trying to backup my home directory from the computer I'm presently using."

#11 2020-08-01 20:08:06

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Furthermore: when I run the login.pl script, and after I log in, the script tells me:

We have introduced GUI based access for your Linux scripts. 
You can use it to view, manage, and monitor your IDrive account activities.
Visit https://www.IDrive.com/online-backup-linux for more info.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam