Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-01-12 17:01:23

DaveLab

Getting An Inappropriate (I think) Backup Failure Prompt

I have a single scheduled backup (happens to be a local backup to an external USB drive which is G: on my system; not doing remote backups currently) that successfully executes each evening at 6 PM. Computer gets turned off at midnight or so each night. Each morning, when I power up the computer, I get an IDrive prompt on my desktop saying, "Unable to continue the scheduled Backup. Reason: Drive G:\ is not connected." Drive G: is always connected.

Would like the prompt to not happen. Can't figure out why it does. My best guess is that when the computer is powering up, IDrive looks to prep for any scheduled backups (even if they're no time soon) and can't discover my G: drive yet because the computer is still coming to life.

I'm dialoguing with IDrive tech support about this and will update this thread if/when I learn more.

#2 2021-01-12 17:24:29

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Getting An Inappropriate (I think) Backup Failure Prompt

Have you tried setting IDriveService to Automatic (Delayed Start)?

https://backupforum.progforums.com/BackupForum/images/StartupType.png

#3 2021-01-12 19:30:46

DaveLab

Interesting. Would this be a way to address my theory? How is the exact delay time determined with this setting, do you know?

Last edited by DaveLab (2021-01-12 19:31:10)

#4 2021-01-12 22:12:09

SteveA
Administrator
Website

DaveLab wrote:

Interesting. Would this be a way to address my theory? How is the exact delay time determined with this setting, do you know?

As I understand it, services set to Delayed Start are started 2 minutes after the last non-delayed service starts.

The time can be modified in the Registry at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\AutoStartDelay. The value (REG_DWORD) is in milliseconds, so 1 minute would be 60000.

I would suggest you stick with the default and see if that works for you!

#5 2021-01-12 22:39:32

DaveLab

Very intriguing. I'm gonna wait 'n' see what the IDrive guys say, then give that a shot if they don't have a better idea. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks so much. smile

#6 2021-01-23 18:47:48

IanPul

I've been seeing the exact same issue ever since I started using IDrive. In my case I run local backups over the network to my NAS, which is mounted as the N: drive. If the computer is sleeping when the backup starts then it gets woken up, just as it should, but the backup then fails, reporting this (from the most recent such failure in my logs):

[ERROR] [01/13/2021 4:00:15] [Unable to continue the scheduled Backup. Reason:  Drive N:\ is not connected.]

And, as you say, when I check it afterwards the N: drive is always connected and accessible. I too think that the issue is probably with the timing, with IDrive attempting to start the backup too quickly, before the OS has completed mounting the external drive.

My (partial) solution has been to schedule the local backups to start at midnight so that the PC will often still be awake if I've been working on it until reasonably late. I guess that a better workaround solution could be to schedule something to run and wake up the PC 5 minutes before the local backups are scheduled.

I don't think that the delayed start suggestion above will work. When the computer wakes from sleep Windows just continues from where it left off. The services were already running, and I'm pretty sure that they should just continue to run and not get restarted. If I'm correct there then this setting won't come into play. Edit: I just noticed that the poster is seeing the issue with the backup running at power-up, so the the task delayed start suggestion might well work for that case; it won't work for my case of the backup running and waking the PC from sleep.

Ian

Last edited by IanPul (2021-01-23 19:33:03)

#7 2021-01-23 21:39:56

DaveLab

Interesting.

FWIW, the IDrive team asked me to set a cut-off time for two or three hours after the backup is scheduled to run. This is set on the Scheduler tab.

My backup is scheduled to run at 6 PM each day. I set the cutoff to 9 PM and the problem has not returned four days later. Don't ask me why. The nightly backup has been finished by around 6:30 PM.

On boot up this morning I did get a prompt saying "The scheduled backup has failed. Reason: machine has shut down unexpectedly." I'm guessing it's unrelated. I may have signed out of my Windows account around the time of the backup. Not sure.

That said, the log shows the backup ran successfully, so who knows? Again, seems unrelated.

Any ideas why setting a backup cutoff time would solve the "drive not connected" prompt/issue?

BTW: I checked the IDriveService, and it was already set to "Automatic (delayed start)" (appears to be the default); but I haven't changed the delay time.

Last edited by DaveLab (2021-01-23 21:44:22)

#8 2021-01-31 18:48:32

DaveLab

UPDATE: after some back-and-forths with IDrive tech support, they've made some changes on "the back end" as they say (I guess that means on their end) and they asked me to define on my end an end-of-day cut-off time three hours after my scheduled run time. I did that. Still getting the "drive not available" prompt on boot-up sometimes.

Next I'll try increasing the delayed start time as per above and report back.

Hmmm... I just tried to go to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\AutoStartDelay" in my registry, and there is no such AutoStartDelay folder or key. ???

Last edited by DaveLab (2021-01-31 18:52:43)

#9 2021-01-31 18:59:26

SteveA
Administrator
Website

DaveLab wrote:

Hmmm... I just tried to go to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\AutoStartDelay" in my registry, and there is no such AutoStartDelay folder or key. ???

AutoStartDelay is the REG_DWORD that you need to create in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\

#10 2021-01-31 19:47:46

IanPul

DaveLab wrote:

Any ideas why setting a backup cutoff time would solve the "drive not connected" prompt/issue?

Sounds like it probably won't. I previously reported an issue (that still persists) where I can't delete entries from the excluded files list in the settings. Their support rep asked me to send them the error report, and then suggested that I enable Windows volume shadow copy and "try the backup again". I wasn't actually having any issues with doing backups, so that was pretty obviously not relevant, but I made the change anyway, to no effect as expected. My guess is that if the support guys don't know the answer then they probably look at your error report and send you back "stock responses" based on anything that they see in there that looks to be possibly set incorrectly.

Ian

Last edited by IanPul (2021-01-31 21:40:13)

#11 2021-01-31 20:48:36

DaveLab

>>AutoStartDelay is the REG_DWORD that you need to create in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\<<

Gotcha. I'm a little slow on the uptake. wink

Perhaps that sets a global delayed start time (for all services using the delayed start setting)? I found this here [https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30801212/set-interval-for-automatic-delayed-start-windows-services], which sets the delay time for whichever specific service you want to impact, as I understand it:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\<service name>\AutoStartDelay

In our case, that's:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\IDriveService\AutoStartDelay

I created the DWORD and set the hexadecimal (the default; I assume that's what we want?) value to 5000. Then I power cycled the computer twice without the prompt appearing. I'll watch it for a few days and report back. Fingers and toes crossed.

Last edited by DaveLab (2021-01-31 20:52:07)

#12 2021-01-31 20:58:06

SteveA
Administrator
Website

5000 hex would be 20480 in decimal.

That would only be about 20 seconds, which is less than the default (120 seconds).

I would suggest doubling the default, so you want 140000 (choose Decimal), or 222E0 in hex.

#13 2021-01-31 21:05:20

DaveLab

It's strange; I've looked in a lot of places, and most sources say the setting is in seconds (rather than milliseconds) and almost no one mentions whether it's a decimal or hexadecimal setting. There's one quote that's apparently posted in a lot of places saying "decimal 240" as the setting for four minutes. I think.

Now I have to wonder if my setting actually works out to 5.68 hours. hmm

20 minutes post boot I see that the IDrive service is running, so I'm hopeful that I've done it right. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Oops. Just seeing your last answer, now.

Last edited by DaveLab (2021-01-31 21:07:20)

#14 2021-01-31 21:12:31

SteveA
Administrator
Website

It doesn't matter whether you enter the value in Dec or Hex.

If you look in the Windows logs (SYSTEM and/or APPLICATION) you should be able to see when IDriveService started compared to other services.

#15 2021-01-31 22:08:23

DaveLab

I clearly need some training, here.

I turned off the computer, then turned it back on. As soon as I got into Windows, I went to the IDrive service, and it was running.

I went to the Windows Logs/Application event list, and it did not yet have an entry for the IDrive service.

So I'm pretty lost.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam