Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-02-07 18:33:08

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Linux Backup Not Resuming

Yesterday I began backing up my data using Linux Mint, and it was up to 18 percent when I went to bed, leaving my system running, of course. The next morning, I saw that it had remained at 18 percent, so I figured I should stop backup and start again. However, upon restarting, it is backing up from 1 percent, instead of resuming at 18 percent. Is this a glitch, or did I miss something? TIA

Brindlekin Tales (or "Flaco & Lucky: a Tale of 2 Doggies")
https://zekeblog.wordpress.com/brindlekin-tales/

#2 2021-02-07 18:36:41

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux Backup Not Resuming

Is it simply doing 1% of 18% less, if you see what I mean? wink

I don't think backups resume, they just recalculate a new set and start from fresh, but will skip what was backed up before.

#3 2021-02-07 18:59:23

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

SteveA wrote:

Is it simply doing 1% of 18% less, if you see what I mean? wink

Yes, I capiche. I just checked my cloud storage for the Linux backup, and a ton of stuff is already there...that is, the 18% uploaded so far. But it IS confusing, since they have no "pause" option, only "stop." And it is impossible to figure out where IDrive left off, for me to actually affirm what you say is correct.

I don't think backups resume, they just recalculate a new set and start from fresh, but will skip what was backed up before.

Well, that seems to be right. Let's see what IDrive support has to say, as I've opened a ticket on this issue.  Thanks again, Steve.

#4 2021-02-07 19:35:03

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

BUT THE QUESTION REMAINS:

Why did IDrive stay at 18% all night long and into the morning?

#5 2021-02-09 03:51:50

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

IDrive is running like a champ, now...and it RESUMED at 18%, just like it does in Windoze. I did create a NEW problem for awhile, by settling throttle to 1%, not understanding how it works. Once I figured it out and set it to 50%, backup continued at more than a snail-through-molasses pace. And THAT is why it seemed stuck at 18%. I resumed backup a half hour ago, and it's already up to 22% for a whopping 31 GB full backup. SO glad to be able to stick with LInux for cloud backup. I HATED being forced to use Windoze for that one reason alone! I'm FREE now, free as a bird! A penguin, to be specific. big_smile

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam