Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-02-10 18:09:47

Zeke
On hiatus
Website

Subject: Some Basic Questions re. Linux Backup

I just sent the following list of questions to IDrive support, but thought it would also be helpful to post them here:

Your help files online or via the terminal do not seem to answer the following questions. Thanks for your attention.

SCRIPTS VIA THE TERMINAL:

1) When I run dashboard, I just get this error:

zeke@X230:~/IDriveForLinux/scripts$ ./dashboard.pl
./dashboard.pl: line 10: use: command not found
./dashboard.pl: line 11: use: command not found
./dashboard.pl: line 13: $: command not found
./dashboard.pl: line 13: =: command not found
./dashboard.pl: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./dashboard.pl: line 15: `use lib map{if(__FILE__ =~ /\//) { substr(__FILE__, 0, rindex(__FILE__, '/'))."/$_";} else { "./$_"; }} qw(Idrivelib/lib);'
zeke@X230:~/IDriveForLinux/scripts$

2) How can I schedule archive cleanup? The archive_cleanup.pl script does not provide that option. Maybe that option's in the dashboard.pl settings, but I can't get that script to run?

3) Can I close the terminal window after starting a backup?

4) I would like to automate the login, instead of keying in the required codes each time I boot into Linux, or after I've logged out of IDrive. There is only one person (me) using this computer, from home...so I'd prefer to expedite the login process. I'm not a programmer, so not sure where to type in username/password/encryption code into login.pl...if that's even at all doable...but if it is, can I run the login under a different filename, such as "login-zeke.pl"? (I already have the original login file backed up as "login-ORIGINAL.pl" for safety's sake.)

REGARDING IDrive'S WEB INTERFACE SETTINGS AT https://www.IDrive.com/ID..../settings:

5) There is no "save" option, so the settings don't stick.

6) Can I close the tab for web-based interface, after starting a backup?

7) Settings via the web interface don't seem to update the terminal based scripts, and vice versa.

8) Even though the web interface requires you to input username/password/encryption code, must I first login via the terminal, anyway? I presume that's the case, but just want to double check on this.

9) When it comes to Linux: would you advise foregoing any actions via the web-based interface, and just stick to the terminal scripts?

Thank you for your time, and excellent service. I am VERY pleased that I can do cloud backups without being forced to reboot into Windows. I will definitely continue to stay with IDrive, as a result.

Brindlekin Tales (or "Flaco & Lucky: a Tale of 2 Doggies")
https://zekeblog.wordpress.com/brindlekin-tales/

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam