Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-04-12 22:44:02

Plotinus

Folder-wise versioning not available

I've just been looking at versioning and found no problem in applying it to a Word document. However, when I tried it for a Folder there was no versioning entry in the drop down menu in Restore. I finally found the appropriate help page on the IDrive site and, right at the bottom, I found a warning that Folder-wise versioning was not available on all accounts; just that, no reasons why or any other information, even though it was described as important.

I would be grateful if anyone who provide a few more details. I have what I imagine is the standard home-user paid account. The version number is either 6.7.3.2 or 8.7.3.2 - it's hard to read on the screen.

#2 2021-04-13 00:29:46

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Folder-wise versioning not available

I don't have that feature either, on version 6.7.3.32 (latest).

If you select an entire folder for restore, you get the latest version of all files. I can't see how it would be useful in most cases to choose another version for all files in a folder, unless you knew for sure that all the file versions were in sync.

I would think it would be Folder-UNwise wink to restore a set of files to a particular version when some files may have changed more frequently than others. Related files would be out of whack.

Is it possible that they removed the feature because its actually unworkable?

BTW I have an old version (6.7.1.44) on a Windows XP VM and there is no Folder-wise versioning on that either.

#3 2021-04-13 08:44:00

Plotinus

Re: Folder-wise versioning not available

Thanks for the reply.

I can think of one case where it might be useful. I occasionally scan in one of my paperbacks and eventually create a pdf file. In the process you obviously have folders containing literally hundreds of files. You could, of course, be extremely well-organised and save any intermediate folders  with different names, or you could be like me and just plough on without any great organisation. It would be nice to have IDrive do all the hard work for you. smile

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam