Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-06-01 23:03:51

speckle111

Changes that trigger a backup on a linux host

In my previous post, I was asking about some things that would trigger a backup to occur on a linux host.  So, here's a list of the tests that I ran:

Things that did NOT trigger a backup:

1) Changing permissions
2) Changing ownership
3) Changing inode

(I'm really happy about #3... that means I can move files to a new disk and, provide all the paths stay the same, they will not get backed up again)

Things that DID trigger a backup

1) Changing the timestamp (either forwards or backwards)
2) Changing the file size (even if you force the timestamp to be unchanged)
3) Changing the file in a way that keeps the same size

I tested moving timestamps backwards to simulate if you placed an older copy of the file in place.  So, ANY timestamp change triggers a backup, even if you do not modify the file.

Also, I did want to make sure that the backup wasn't triggered just on the file size, so I did a set of modifications that kept the same file size, and as expected, they triggered a backup.  That was probably just being a bit paranoid, but just wanted to be sure.

So, it's a reasonable backup solution for linux provided you're basically a single user.

Trying to do system-level backups is probably not great because:

o  It doesn't handle permissions and ownerships at all (which renders it virtually useless for a system-level install)
o  It doesn't handle symlinks correctly (they should be backed up as a symlink, NOT as a file/directory that the link points at
o  I assume that it probably doesn't handle other types of special files (hard links, semaphores, sockets, etc.) though I didn't test them out.

All in all, I'm happy to use it as a user-level backup solution.

#2 2022-06-01 23:48:30

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Changes that trigger a backup on a linux host

Thanks for posting your findings.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam