Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-06-23 19:03:47

OldGrantian

How to stop IDrive from backing up ?

I have messed up a file on my hard drive.

How do I stop IDrive from doing any backups until I have repaired that file ?

I've shut down the laptop with the damaged file, and I'm using my old laptop to type this.

Thanks

Last edited by OldGrantian (2022-06-23 19:14:29)

#2 2022-06-23 19:48:08

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: How to stop IDrive from backing up ?

You can stop a running backup from the IDrive client program - sometimes you can get it while its Preparing file list (before it actually backs up anything).

To stop it from backing up anything until you're ready, you could uncheck the daily schedule in the IDrive program and disable Continuous Data Protection (if you use it).

Alternatively disable IDriveService in Windows Services.

#3 2022-06-23 20:10:57

OldGrantian

SteveA wrote:

you could uncheck the daily schedule in the IDrive program

I did that immediately after discovering the damage to my file.

Thanks

BTW:  Does shutting down actually stop IDrive ?  Or do I need to remove the drive and place it in a bucket of water ?

#4 2022-06-23 20:17:20

SteveA
Administrator
Website

OldGrantian wrote:

do I need to remove the drive and place it in a bucket of water ?

I don't recommend this course of action wink

#5 2022-06-23 20:55:36

OldGrantian

SteveA wrote:

OldGrantian wrote:

do I need to remove the drive and place it in a bucket of water ?

I don't recommend this course of action wink

That won't be necessary now. I recovered the undamaged file from IDrive. So everything is back to normal.

Thanks

#6 2022-06-24 00:33:52

SteveA
Administrator
Website

You don't really need to worry too much about IDrive backing up a damaged version of a file because it doesn't simply overwrite it in your IDrive data, it just stores a new version (up to 10).

If you look at the file in the Restore section of the IDrive application, you can right-click it and choose a version to restore - pick the one before you messed it up, and restore it to an alternative location (uncheck Restore to original location).

This gives you the luxury of being able to analyse the file before you copy it back to the original location - if it turns out it was already damaged at that time, you can work your way back through the other versions.

#7 2022-06-24 08:03:28

OldGrantian

I don't often quote an entire post, but this post is gold dust.

SteveA wrote:

You don't really need to worry too much about IDrive backing up a damaged version of a file because it doesn't simply overwrite it in your IDrive data, it just stores a new version (up to 10).

If you look at the file in the Restore section of the IDrive application, you can right-click it and choose a version to restore - pick the one before you messed it up, and restore it to an alternative location (uncheck Restore to original location).

This gives you the luxury of being able to analyse the file before you copy it back to the original location - if it turns out it was already damaged at that time, you can work your way back through the other versions.

Thanks

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam