Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni
  • Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » During transfer, file numbers and sizes are double the correct values RSS Feed

#1 2022-11-16 09:46:52

OldGrantian

During transfer, file numbers and sizes are double the correct values

I'm doing some investigation related to another of my recent posts here:

Need explanation for "[ERROR] ...File / Folder does not exist

The other post describes "$$$" being inserted into some iPhone file names, after transfer to IDrive from iCloud.

OBJECTIVE: 
I want to know if IDrive sees SOME filenames differently for another cloud drive - compared with a hard drive.

I did the following:
- Copy all photos from iCloud to drive D:
- Backup those photos fom drive D:  to IDrive

iD and iC are both "cloud" drives, whereas drive D: is a standard disk.

CONCLUSIONS:

- For static files, iD, iC, and DOS sees the same sizes for the photos folder:

--  Number of files:  2611
--  Total size:          10.9 GB

- But in transit between drive D: and iD, iD obviously sees values that are changing dynamically.  But here is one set of values - part-way through the transfer:

-- Completed files:  2,680, 7.1 GB
-- Remaining files:   3,717, 15.4 GB
--  Total files:           6,397, 22.5 GB

BTW: When I did the transfer from iCloud to D: drive. I saw the same strangely high values for number of files and file sizes.

Maybe IDrive has always displayed strange numbers at the foot of the panel during transit. I'll pay more attention in future.

Footnote: Some of the folks might be wondering why I'm using IDrive to backup files from iCloud smile

Reason: iCloud is a copy of what you have on your phone. So, if you accidentally delete some files from the phone, they are immediately deleted from iCloud. (Maybe there's a period of grace - I can't remember).

Thanks

Last edited by OldGrantian (2022-11-17 07:18:31)

• Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » During transfer, file numbers and sizes are double the correct values RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam