Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2023-12-07 20:33:26

speckle111

Moving backup from one system to another

I actually have two linux-related question.

1)  I'm using IDrive on a linux host to back up a mixture of local files (relatively small... just a few GB) and a locally mounted NAS fileshare (a few TB).

That linux host is old and I need to retire it.  I've got a new host which has the NAS fileshare mounted in exactly the same paths.  The local files are all in /home and the NAS fileshare is in /mnt .  The /home files are not a problem.  It's small enough that I don't care if I start that part of the backup over, but the NAS fileshare in /mnt is so large that I really want to be able to somehow just continue the existing backup on a new host.  I hope that I'm making myself clear.

Has anyone done something like this before and can point me in the right direction?

2)  My second question is: is linux going to continue to be supported by IDrive?  When I downloaded IDrive on the old host (a year and a half ago), the linux scripts package were available on the download page.  Now, it tells me I have to contact support to get a download link.

I've already done that (though I haven't gotten an answer yet, so I haven't gotten the link at this point), but I'm concerned that it seems like they're making it harder to use linux.  Have there been any indications that linux was going to stop being a supported environment?  That would really stink as that would mean that I would need to change backup solutions for a second time in 2 years.

Last edited by speckle111 (2023-12-07 20:33:53)

#2 2023-12-14 18:32:22

speckle111

Re: Moving backup from one system to another

So I contacted IDrive support, and they gave me the answers I needed.

1)  They are not discontinuing support for linux.  I'm not certain why they are hiding the download behind a support request... but at least it appears that for now, linux support is safe.

2)  It turns out to be easy.  After downloading the scripts, I turn off IDrive on the old system, and I run the account_settings.pl script on the new host (which has all of the same files mounted in the same paths).  It asks what backup location to use, and you select #2 (Select from existing backup locations).  I selected the backup location that already exists.

To verify, I then ran a complete backup.  As expected, it had to back up a number of the local files, but only a few (the expected amount) of NAS files.  The backup completed in about an hour which is exactly what I would have expected.  So I'm all set.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam