Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2019-01-28 15:49:42

snowdog

Sync without using the built in sync

So here's my situation. I back up about 1.2 TB with the normal backup to cloud functionality. This is on my main computer. About 800 GB of that is my iTunes library. I have quite a few movies and TV shows that I've ripped from DVD. I have a remote computer in a different location that I'm running Plex server on. It automatically indexes files from my iTunes library. What I want to do is to keep just the iTunes folder in sync between the two computers. So when I rip a new movie locally, it automatically gets put on the remote server, along with the update to the iTunes library file(s).

This would seem to be ideal to use the built in sync, targeting just the iTunes folder. But I am concerned about my data usage. My local ISP has a data cap, and I come somewhat close to it when I do something like rip a couple of seasons of a TV show. Using sync, I would be double-uploading all of the video files from my home computer. Once for the backup to IDrive, and once to sync with the remote computer.

So I would like to just back up to IDrive, then automatically restore just the iTunes folder to the remote computer. But I don't want to download the whole 800 GB library each time.

If I were to do this manually, I would Remote Desktop in, start IDrive, select the iTunes library files and whatever video files are new, and restore them. Can that be set up somehow?

I know this is clearly not the design of the program, so I get if it can't be done. If that's the case, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 2019-01-28 19:47:49

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Sync without using the built in sync

Have you looked at the command line utility, idevsutil ?

Maybe you could schedule this to run at the remote site and restore selected folders on a timed basis.

I've had a quick look at the Windows version and I can't see that it has a switch to "skip existing / older files", but there is also a Linux version which may be more flexible. If so and you don't have a Linux box at the remote location, you could run it as a VM or on a cheap computer like a Raspberry Pi.

Have a look here:

https://www.IDrive.com/cmd_steps

Here's the full help file:

https://www.idrivesync.com/evs/dev-guide-parameters.htm

#3 2019-01-28 20:24:47

SteveA
Administrator
Website

This should ensure it syncs and doesn't download the same version of every file every time:

Full and Incremental download

IDriveSync EVS download API is intelligent enough to perform full and incremental download. During incremental download, only modified portions of a file will be downloaded from your IDriveSync account. It uses the advanced patching technology to determine the changed data at source and applies only modified blocks of the changed files, on to the data which is present on your local computer.

https://www.idrivesync.com/evs/download-api.htm

#4 2019-01-28 20:36:27

snowdog

Interesting. I didn't know that the command line was there. I'd rather not set up a Linux box, but it looks like there are ways to list the files in the account, and also to restore individual files. So maybe I can just script my own compare and only restore what I'm missing.

Since my goal is to restore files that I don't have on the remote box, and since these are video rips that don't change, I don't need to check versions. Just see what's missing.

Any suggestion on what tool to use? It looks like there is both a command line utility and an API. But while the documentation seems adequate, I don't see samples/tutorials. I have access to Visual Studio, so the API might be the way to go. But if there's a standard free scripting tool, I could learn that.

#5 2019-01-28 20:39:49

snowdog

OK, I typed my response before your last post.

I found this (https://www.idrivesync.com/evs/code-repository.htm) which looks like it contains some samples and projects.

Thanks!

#6 2019-01-28 20:45:39

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Yes - I did stumble on that too.

This is the sort of thing I would do in a BASH script, or a Windows batch file. Keep it light!

Please let the forum know how you get on.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam