Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2020-05-09 03:10:39

dau1618

Backup Hidden Files\Folders and Empty Directories

I am trying to validate that IDrive Backup works as expected.  I have found that hidden files (those with a '.' prefix), hidden folders and empty directories are NOT backed up.  Is there a setting that can prevent these errors?  I tried switching on the "Show hidden files\folders" option in the settings but it does not seem to make any difference.  Any suggestions?

#2 2020-05-09 10:52:56

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Backup Hidden Files\Folders and Empty Directories

Is this on the Mac version?

#3 2020-05-09 23:58:14

dau1618

Yes, Mac version.

#4 2020-05-10 11:26:44

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Mac version and I don't have anything to test with.

If you enable the Show hidden files/folders option, do they then become visible in the backup selections?

When you run a backup with hidden files selected, do you get entries in the log detailing why they were skipped?

With regards to empty directories, I can confirm that the Windows version also doesn't back these up. You may have to put placeholder files in empty directories (or the deepest folder in the structure) to get them included in the backup.

#5 2020-05-10 15:37:26

dau1618

I found the issue.  At the very bottom of the "Exclude Files / Folders from backup" in Settings there is a check box called "Exclude hidden files/folders" that is checked by default.  I have unchecked it and started a backup.  The log shows it going through and backing up all of the hidden files and folders that were previously missing. 

I think this feature should be unchecked by default.

#6 2020-05-10 22:25:57

dau1618

I have run some tests and verified that all hidden files and folders are properly backed up if the "Exclude Files/Folders" switch is unchecked.  It does NOT backup empty folders.  In my mind a complete backup should be able to produce an identical copy of the drive\directory that is being backed up.  Since the restore image will fail a diff comparison with the original I consider missing empty directories to be a bug.

#7 2020-05-10 23:19:33

SteveA
Administrator
Website

dau1618 wrote:

In my mind a complete backup should be able to produce an identical copy of the drive\directory that is being backed up.  Since the restore image will fail a diff comparison with the original I consider missing empty directories to be a bug.

To be fair to IDrive, they're not alone in this limitation.

It should be easy for them to provide a checkbox to include empty directories though, not sure why they haven't done it.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam