Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2020-08-13 02:29:32

avhjr

Can idriveservice be quiescent?

I've attempted to turn off IDrive in it's settings as best as possible so it only runs during the scheduled daily backup, which for me is late at night.  No real-time backup, no resuming backups after a reboot, etc.  I have an old laptop running W7.

However idriveservice is always reading the disk.  I/O Read Bytes starts increasing right after a reboot and never stops.  If I stop idriveservice then id_bglaunch and id_tray are pretty much quiescent.

Does anyone know if IDrive can be mostly quiescent until the scheduled backup?

I asked IDrive support about this and their responses were the usual canned ones- stop and restart idriveservice, do a clean reinstall, etc.  I got a little testy with them and they said they would forward my question to the developers.

#2 2020-08-13 10:00:15

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Can idriveservice be quiescent?

I don't think there are any settings that will stop this behavior, IDriveService likes to read your disk all day!

One thing you could try is to set IDriveService Startup type to Manual then use scheduled tasks to start/stop the service when required.

I would suggest the start time should be about 1 hour before your backup starts, but because the end-time may vary, you might have to do something funky to detect when its finished.

Start / stop scripts were discussed here:

https://backupforum.progf.....php?id=79

maybe you could adapt that to work with NET START / NET STOP commands to control IDriveService.

#3 2020-09-15 21:56:30

avhjr

Re: Can idriveservice be quiescent?

The IDrive people got back to me and said they made some changes in the latest release.

I was having complete slowdows on my old W7 32-bit laptop with 4GB- cpu pegged at 100% and windows flicking in and out.  This happened when I was running firefox so I attempted to limit firefox as best I could with various settings to no avail.  When I looked at resource monitor I would see idriveservice reading the disk so I was concerned about that also.  There were some obvious things like disk indexing, googleupdateservice and intuitupdateservice that I turned off.

However one time I happened to notice in resource monitor that the 'superfetch' (sysmain) service was accessing the disk.  This supposedly speeds up windows.  I turned it off and the problem went away.  I'm also leaving idriveservice running and everything is still fine.

Last edited by avhjr (2020-09-15 21:57:32)

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam