Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2019-02-28 21:15:37

SteveA
Administrator
Website

IDrive keeps trying to backup files that have been deleted

Here's a strange one.

Two photos were deleted from this folder - possibly during an automatic backup.

This occurred on Feb 23, and since then, IDrive has remembered they used to exist and continually attempts to back them up, with the resulting error:

[ERROR] [02/28/2019 21:06:31] [C:\Users\Bob\Pictures\Xmas2018-Feb2019\P1060300.JPG  Reason: File / Folder does not exist]
[ERROR] [02/28/2019 21:06:31] [C:\Users\Bob\Pictures\Xmas2018-Feb2019\P1060302.JPG  Reason: File / Folder does not exist]

I've upgraded the software to 6.7.1.40 (it was 6.7.1.29) but the issue remains.

Anyone any ideas how to make IDrive forget these files?

#2 2019-03-24 01:47:59

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive keeps trying to backup files that have been deleted

After a few weeks this continued to happen, IDrive would not forget these files.

So, I created a couple of files with the same names and ran a backup. IDrive happily accepted these files and backed them up. I was then able to remove them from the folder and IDrive has stopped complaining during subsequent backups.

Hope this workaround helps anyone with similar issues!

#3 2020-05-19 01:30:44

JohnM

I saw the same behavior with deleted files.  I also put in some dummy files to satisfy IDrive and deleted them afterwards.  Another time I deleted the directory containing the ghost files that IDrive complained about and that also took care of the "failures" as well.

#4 2020-05-19 02:03:06

SteveA
Administrator
Website

JohnM wrote:

Another time I deleted the directory containing the ghost files that IDrive complained about and that also took care of the "failures" as well.

I wonder then, if rename the directory - backup - rename it back, would also fool IDrive.

This would be a less arduous way to cope with a large number of ghost files in a busy directory.

#5 2020-05-19 02:20:51

JohnM

That is worth trying.  Let's see who gets the first ghost files.

#6 2021-01-23 19:47:47

IanPul

Did you maybe have them specifically selected in the "what to back up" settings, versus just checking the box for the entire directory? I've seen this this same failure reported more than once in a case where I had checked the box to select a directory, and then unchecked the boxes for certain files in the directory that I didn't want backed up. In that case, rather than remembering to back up "everything except the unchecked files" it remembers "all the checked files", which means that a) it doesn't back up any additional files added into the directory later, and b) it throws a "file does not exist" warning if any of the checked files are later deleted.

I know that the proper way to do this would be to exclude the unwanted files in the global exclude list, but that's a bit more inconvenient to set up, and I may actually want to back up certain files like this locally, but not online. IMHO, having exclude file lists per-backup or, better, being able to say "exclude this file/folder" within a selected folder in the select files/folders tree for a backup set, would be a good feature request.

#7 2021-01-23 20:16:40

SteveA
Administrator
Website

In my case they were not specifically selected, just new files added to an existing folder that was already part of the backup set.

It was a large number of photos copied from a camera.

IDrive had scanned them and started a backup, but a couple of files were deleted before it reached them. The backup finished with errors for those files (fair enough), but it also threw the same error for every subsequent backup until I created a couple of dummy files with those filenames and let it back them up.

I've since had it happen with temporary files in the C:\Users\-profile-\IDrive-Sync\.idsync.cache folder - which you would think would automatically be excluded roll

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam