Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-12-14 20:47:23

smbetz

IDrive changed MY exclusion list!

3 days ago I noticed that the number of files backed up overnight by IDrive was about 5% of the usual count. I finally figured out that my Thunderbird mail was no longer being backed up.  Please be aware that IDrive updated my exclusion list putting into it a folder that includes my Thunderbird mail, Firefox bookmarks, and Chrome bookmarks.  To be specific the higher level folder C:\Users\username\AppData\ is one of SEVERAL folders that have been added to my exclusion list.  Though I understood the symptoms I got the information about the exclusion list changes from an IDrive support person yesterday.  Since I thought that was a setting for users, I didn't think to look there as I knew I had not made any recent changes to the exclusion list.  He termed it an "IDrive update".  Say what?  An update that fails to back up my specifically requested data?

#2 2021-12-14 20:51:07

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive changed MY exclusion list!

Did this occur after a software update? Which version of the IDrive client are you running?

#3 2021-12-14 21:03:24

smbetz

Sorry, I should have included that, Steve.  Version 6.7.4.12 - it gets updated automatically on my system.  12/09/21 3:46 PM is the time stamp on the changed IDrive program files.

#4 2021-12-14 21:47:03

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Its a dubious thing for them to do. Many people won't notice its happened until they need to restore some data.

#5 2021-12-14 21:53:18

smbetz

I agree.  That's why I searched for a forum to alert others.  By the way, they also put Dropbox in the exclusion list. obviously a special case, but...

#6 2021-12-19 06:23:35

sledr2

smbetz wrote:

3 days ago I noticed that the number of files backed up overnight by IDrive was about 5% of the usual count. I finally figured out that my Thunderbird mail was no longer being backed up.  Please be aware that IDrive updated my exclusion list putting into it a folder that includes my Thunderbird mail, Firefox bookmarks, and Chrome bookmarks.  To be specific the higher level folder C:\Users\username\AppData\ is one of SEVERAL folders that have been added to my exclusion list.  Though I understood the symptoms I got the information about the exclusion list changes from an IDrive support person yesterday.  Since I thought that was a setting for users, I didn't think to look there as I knew I had not made any recent changes to the exclusion list.  He termed it an "IDrive update".  Say what?  An update that fails to back up my specifically requested data?

I just spent a lovely hour chatting with support asking about this same issue, but my support guy, DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE EXCLUSION LIST CHANGES!!&^%$#@!

He could not give me a straight answer as to why, the total number of files in my BACKUP SET had ALL OF A SUDDEN been reduced by 17,000 files after release 6.7.4.12 was downloaded to my PC.  HIS "SOLUTION" was, to uncheck all of my files that I had checked to be backed up.  Then go thru the whole list and check off everything again!!???

FINALLY, I NOTICED A BUNCH OF FOLDERS THAT WERE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED, in my BACKUP SET. I got a hold of the same support person and asked what it meant that folders in my backup list were highlighted in Red?  He said that just means those folders are in your exclude list BUT ALSO in your backup list.  He told me, I might want to review my EXCLUDE LIST.  I had forgotten about the Exclude list OR MAYBE THEY CREATED AN EXCLUDE LIST FOR US IN THIS RELEASE???  I'm not sure??  NOTE:  Throughout both of these Chat sessions, this support tech did NOT inform me that this new release had "automatically updated the EXCLUDE LIST" and  that C:\Users\username\AppData\ HAD ALL OF SUDDEN BEEN ADDED TO the EXCLUDE LIST!!

I also backup Firefox & Thunderbird and confirmed that those files stopped being backed up when I got release 6.7.4.12!!

Another issue with release 6.7.4.12 (a minor one), they stopped posting a 2nd "Summary Tab", which I relied on A LOT!  Now, they only publish the "Summary Info" at the end of the Detailed Tab.  (FRUSTRATING!!)

#7 2021-12-19 13:45:53

smbetz

sledr2, the exclude list has existed for some time. I had to make changes as advised by support when IDrive had a different problem.  The really bizarre thing about this issue it that the updates were not applied to all accounts.  I have 2 PCs that are backed up by IDrive and the second one was not changed; I confirmed that IDrive was updated to 6.7.4.12 on that machine too (but the 2 PCs may be on different levels of Windows 10.  Since people reading this may wonder about my claim, I wanted to note that).

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam