Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-04-27 22:42:49

DaveLab

IDrive background processes stepping on wireless keyboard and mouse?

I've been having intermittent issues with my wireless keyboard. Sometimes it just won't do anything as I hit the keys. Or it will occasionally take a keystroke properly as I'm typing. And then it'll be fine. And then it'll start acting up again. The mouse, too. But to much less of a degree.

Tonight, as I noticed it happening, I opened up Task Manager (Windows 10) and saw several idwutil_600.exe processws chewing up CPU cycles. The total CPU load was only 8%, but I wonder if there still can be some interference.

Yes, IDrive was doing it's daily, scheduled backup in the background. And when it finished, my keyboard returned to normal.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone have an idea on fixing it?

Last edited by DaveLab (2022-04-27 22:43:42)

#2 2022-04-28 01:23:31

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive background processes stepping on wireless keyboard and mouse?

Is your pc low on free physical RAM and swapping out to disk?

That can cause issues like you describe.

#3 2022-04-28 02:32:11

DaveLab

I don't think so. Well, I'm pretty sure not.  Mainly because I've turned off my swap file for all drives. I did this because I have (I presume) ample RAM. At the time of the trouble today, Task Manager said I was using a little less than half of my available memory.

My CPU has twenty virtual cores. You'd think the system could handle this.

Good thinking, though, thanks. Other ideas? Maybe a USB bus issue? (wireless dongle for keyboard plugged into USB port.)

Hmmm... gives me the idea to try a different USB port.

Maybe IDrive is spending a lot of energy trying to find my USB drive (that's only plugged in when I decide to do some archiving). I guess a test would be to deselect that drive from my backup plan.

#4 2022-04-28 11:08:07

SteveA
Administrator
Website

It may be just coincidence that idwutil_600.exe was running at the time you looked.

One of the biggest resource hogs I've encountered is MsMpEng.exe, the engine for Microsoft Security Essentials, especially if its running a scan. It doesn't allow you to change its priority, but you can change its processor affinity to reduce the number of cores it can "abuse".

Alternatively, could it be radio interference as mentioned here? ...

#5 2022-04-28 21:57:01

DaveLab

Hi Steve,

Well, I was doing a small restore today using IDrive and immediately noticed my keyboard struggling again. As soon as the process ended, my keyboard was back to normal. I'm pretty sure it's the IDrive processes. But I saw one or two IDrive.exe processes running along side several of the idwutil_600.exe processes, so I'm not sure which it is.

I'm pretty sure it's not RFI interference because I have both  my keyboard and mouse dongles on USB extension cords terminating on my (physical) desktop a few inches from each (having had what I guessed was bad "reception" in the past).

I didn't notice any CPU cycles happening on Windows security processes, but I'll look better next time.

My theory right now is that somehow an IDrive process (or two?) is interfering with a USB bus' process. I'm going to try moving the dongle to a different port and see what ensues.

Last edited by DaveLab (2022-04-28 21:57:39)

#6 2022-04-28 23:32:05

DaveLab

Hi Steve,

Well, I think I've found the answer. And it's not any background processes. You were onto something when you suggested RF. I had only considered between the keyboard dongle and the keyboard. But then it occurred to me that 1) my desktop's Wi-Fi dongle (at the end of its USB cord) is right next to my keyboard's dongle-on-USB-cord. AND, since I moved my workstation into this room a few weeks back, 2) my whole setup is within a couple feet of our Wi-Fi router.

I ruled out IDrive by doing a large download through my browser instead. Same issue with the keyboard. It seemed that any kind of intensive wireless traffic was causing the issue.

Then I ruled out the Wi-Fi dongle and incriminated the router by holding both dongles next to each other while moving them as far away as I could (six feet) from the router. The keyboard action improved quite a bit, almost returning to normal.

I really don't want to move my workstation to get away from the Wi-Fi router. I think I'm going to move the router to a different place in the house.

Thanks for your input on this, Steve. It really opened my mind to some other possibilities. smile

#7 2022-04-29 00:00:47

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Glad you sussed it.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam