Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#16 2022-04-01 23:39:14

TroyBayliss

Re: Not all files being backed up

Hi Steve

Also noting that the computer is running Windows 10.

Regards

#17 2022-04-02 20:25:29

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TroyBayliss wrote:

Hi Steve
I did the 'Get folder size' action on the drive I backup on my main computer, and returned 216.91GB and a file count of 15604.

When I navigated to the same drive within 'File explorer', and selected 'Properties', used space was presented as 153GB -- also noting that 'Compress this drive to save disk space' is unticked.

Windows Explorer seems to only show file size when you view properties on a volume, or even on multiple files.

You may need to get something better like WizTree.

However I'm not sure why Windows is reporting lower values (for files) than IDrive - unless you have deleted some files from the drive, because IDrive does not synchronize when you run a backup, it'll leave all the old files in the backup.

If you want to synchronize files between your drive and IDrive, you can enable the "Archive Cleanup" option in your IDrive settings. Personally I don't use this feature as I think it carries a lot of risk of data loss.

#18 2022-04-04 10:18:26

TroyBayliss

Hi Steve

I am constantly learning.  wink

And many thanks for clarifying that IDrive does not synchronize, and keeps 'old' files in place.

Given the above context, there should at least be some discrepancy between IDrive and Windows based 'data' drive. You may recall I had some file paths that exceeded the 248 figure etc. On the Windows 'data' drive, I went about rationalising number of characters along related folder paths, as well as in some instances shortening file name characters as well. So I suppose that any level at which a folder path was shortened from is then to IDrive, a whole new bunch of files, even though are now in a way, effectively duplicates. I did keep a track of which files related to the 'old' folder paths, and so could go into IDrive, if I knew how, and manually delete those in a systematic way.

Which do you recommend is the best way to access into the right part of IDrive to do that systematic 'old' duplicate deletion?

I will definitely stay away from the IDrive 'Archive Cleanup' function.

#19 2022-04-04 11:56:10

SteveA
Administrator
Website

TroyBayliss wrote:

Which do you recommend is the best way to access into the right part of IDrive to do that systematic 'old' duplicate deletion?

From the Windows client, you can remove files from the Restore section. If you get the wrong bit, it'll return during the next backup, so its relatively safe, although you'll lose the file versions.

Oh and of course, there's always Sod's Law that states that your HDD will fail just after you remove the files from the backup wink

#20 2022-05-10 22:04:27

TroyBayliss

Many thanks Steve

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam