Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#16 2022-05-19 03:25:02

TroyBayliss

Re: Cannot open main Interface and auto backs not running

Hi Steve

I continued attempts in another way.

Logged into admin account, opened Task manager and ended IDrive related task.  Then ran IDrive installer successfully.

Very much appreciated your question (?) re whether is a 'permission' or an 'in-use' issue.   Seems like maybe it was a bit of both. I am keen to learn.

I then rebooted back into admin account and uninstalled using Revo along with a thorough associated cleanup of any leftover artifacts.

I then rebooted into admin account and installed IDrive over the emptiness left by Revo. IDrive system tray icon visible and able from there to access a login interface.

I then rebooted into general user account, opened into IDrive login interface and successfully logged in.

With entire clean install IDrive does not appear to have a connection to previously cloud backed up data from my D (data) drive, so I have 'manually' initiated a data backup of D drive -- currently underway -- appears to be backing up the whole drive -- letting it do that - 3% completed now -- will take a while.  smile

I found it interesting that in intiating the 'new' backup of D drive, IDrive did not ask for encryption key -- I assume that once set, and unless changed by user, that encryption key holds for all account login events -- is that correct? 

I have not attempted yet, however, I assume the previous backup/s of data from D drive will still be stored and accessible from the IDrive server -- is that correct?

I would like to know what caused the previously installed IDrive corruption -- will probably never know though.

And other insights most welcome.

Very much appreciate your guidance.

Regards

#17 2022-05-19 10:40:17

TroyBayliss

Hi Steve

D drive full backup has completed.  In hindsight, and seeing details emerge during the backup, IDrive did recognise the pre-corruption cloud-server held backup, and showed that only backed up what needed to be in relation to the pre-corruption backup history.

Backup summary by IDrive as follows:

[Total retry attempts : 3]
[Start Time: 19/05/2022 12:05:12 PM]
[End Time: 19/05/2022 6:58:37 PM]
[Files considered for backup: 10085]
[Files already present in your account: 8706]
[Files backed up now: 1379, Size: 42.64 GB]

[Some of the files / folders you have chosen may have been excluded from backup. This means that the backup of these particular files / folders will not take place. View the list of excluded files / folders from the Settings tab.]

Was a relatively slow process -- took 7 hours to do 42GBs.

Anyway -- done now -- seems to be back on track.

I will now setup auto scheduling as was configured prior to corruption.

Many thanks again.

Any other insights most welcome.

Regards

#18 2022-05-19 12:45:15

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Glad to learn that you got it going.

I can't imagine what caused the IDrive installation to become corrupted. You could spend hours poring over the Windows Event Logs from the time you noticed it broken;  you might find a clue. Alternatively put it down to experience and hope it doesn't happen again wink

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam