Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2024-03-31 13:45:54

bribri

Different physical download files for the same version of IDrive

Hello all,

I sent the following email to IDrive Support about a month ago (March 3) and have heard nothing back from them other than "We are checking this. We will get back to you with an update at the earliest." Thought I'd post it here for others to see.

It does look like there have been a couple of new versions of IDrive for Windows release in the last few weeks, so maybe they have address the issue. But I never got a "root cause" explanation. It would be nice to know why this happened and how they have fixed it. Might be asking a bit much, but a guy can dream. smile

-----------------------
IDrive Support,

I am seeing differences in the downloaded versions of IDrive for Windows, and I wanted to know if someone could explain those differences to me. As I'm sure you're aware, in the past other sites have been hacked to supply versions of software that are different then what is intended. Since I am trusting IDrive to backup all of my personal files, I would like to have some level of confidence that the software I am using is what it should be. I'd appreciate a response to my questions.

I have had the "current" version of IDrive for Windows (6.7.4.47) installed on my computer for some time now. Probably since late November 2023 when I pointed out in another support ticket that my IDrive for Windows version was not updating correctly.

I already had a version of the software downloaded from November 25, I downloaded a version of the software from the IDrive site on February 18th, and I downloaded it again today (March 3rd).

Using software called HashTools (version 4.8), I calculated the MD5 hash for all 3 of these files of IDrive for Windows. I get 3 different hash values, even though all 3 versions of the software are purported to be the same version, 6.7.4.47. See my screenshot below. The different hashes imply that they are physically different files, even though they are supposed to be the same version of the IDrive for Windows software.

The IDrive web site also says that this version was released on 2/22/2024, but I have had that particular version installed since November, as I mentioned above.

So a few questions:

* Why are the different files I have downloaded, for supposedly the same version of IDrive for Windows, showing different hash values?
* What version of IDrive for Windows was released on 2/22/2024? Version 6.7.4.47? Or should it be a newer version and the web page has not been updated?
* The internal file information for the most recently downloaded file (3/3/2024, shown below) still shows 6.7.4.47. If it is a newer version, the file has not been updated.

* If these files are all truly different, why isn't IDrive showing any and all changes that occur to the versions of the software that are made available?

Thanks,
Brian

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam