Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-01-18 19:10:36

IanPul

Backup failure result

Hi.

Any thoughts about how to track the cause of this:

I have scheduled backups of my PC to back it up locally to my NAS, and also a less frequent scheduled online backup. Both of them always give a failure status with this same summary report:

[Start Time: 1/18/2021 2:00:34 AM]
[End Time: 1/18/2021 3:35:28 AM]
[Files considered for backup: 198372]
[Files already present in your device: 198241]
[Files backed up now: 124, Size: 3.63 GB]
[Files failed to backup: 7]

[Some of the files / folders you have chosen may have been excluded from backup. This means that the backup of these particular files / folders will not take place. View the list of excluded files / folders from the Settings tab.]
[Some files / folders could not be backed up due to an unexpected error.]

The "Files failed to backup" is always 7 for a local backup, 2 for an online backup (the file sets are different). But when I look at the log details there are no failures/errors reported. The log for the above run shows 124 "[SUCCESS]" entries, and that is it.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to track which were the 7 "Files failed to backup", and how to get any more info about what may have caused the "unexpected error".

#2 2021-01-18 20:23:37

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Backup failure result

Are you looking at the logs from the IDrive software?

I'm not sure it always shows you the full story, have a look in:

C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-user-\Session\backup\

(where -user- is your backup profile name)

Open the relevant file in a text editor and see if you have any [ERROR] entries in there.

I usually get a few related to MS Outlook temporary files that have been deleted between the initial scan and the actual backup.

#3 2021-01-18 21:45:08

IanPul

I had been looking at the logs shown by IDrive GUI and did not know about the logs stored there thanks, but it does not hold anything more. What is in there is the same as displayed in the summary and details tabs by the IDrive log viewer.

However, browsing around in there, what I did find with more information (5MBytes of it covering the last 2 days) is this file:

C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-user-\Tracefile.txt

And poking around looking for errors in there I found these 7 reported:

[01/18/2021 2:16:47] Error: skipping "/D/msys32/dev/stderr". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:16:47] Error: skipping "/D/msys32/dev/stdout". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:16:48] Error: skipping "/D/msys32/dev/fd". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:16:48] Error: skipping "/D/msys32/dev/stdin". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:16:48] Error: skipping "/D/msys32/etc/mtab". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:39:46] Error: skipping "/D/Users/Ian/SLRC/2005 Finals/Norcals/hcp/src/RunIt.lnk.lnk". reason: not a file.
[01/18/2021 2:40:17] Error: skipping "/D/Users/Ian/SLRC/2005 Finals/Far Wests/Far Wests.hcp/hcp/src/RunIt.lnk.lnk". reason: not a file.

There being 7 of them fits with the "Files failed to backup: 7" error reported by IDrive, and I back up the /D/msys directory locally but not online, so that fits with the online backup reporting just 2 such errors.

These are all Linux symlinks (I use the msys and Cygwin Linux emulators a lot). I'll add exclude for "*.lnk" and those directories under msys, and hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks.

Last edited by IanPul (2021-01-25 20:06:05)

#4 2021-01-18 22:36:41

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Yes, Tracefile.txt has a lot of info and has been known to get very large. There's a thread on here about one that grew to 65GB, consuming all available space on an SSD!

Running out of room and IDrive has a 65 *GB* Tracefile.txt

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam