Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2019-07-28 14:28:29

kevin

IDrive Business account administrators and users

I had an IDrive personal account for backing up varrious computers in my small business - all fine.

As we have grown I wanted a layer of security to prevent a manager in one shop accessing the back-ups of another one of our shops (which seems unavoidable in a personal account, because, quite reasonably there is only one sign in), so i upgraded to IDrive Business, thinking there would be a clear way to identify

a) administrator(s) - nowhere can i see anything which identifies administrator as against a list of users

then

b) the administrator to set up 'users' - I have done this - but can't see how to now migrate individual computers from the single level collection of PCs I have as a legacy of my personal account to a 'user' or to give 'users' access only to selected computers, ie the computers in each shop being allocated to that shop manager as 'user'.

I tried the IDrive online chat - no use

Any help very appreciated

kevin

#2 2019-07-30 19:30:42

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive Business account administrators and users

I've not used a business account myself, but I found the following FAQ:

https://www.IDrive.com/subaccount-faq

So it would appear the administrator is only there to administer accounts, meaning that you would not be able to restore from any sub-accounts as administrator, you would have to be logged in as the sub-account user.

You may also find IDrive can't provide a mechanism to transfer data from one account to another. I tried this when I migrated from a legacy account to the latest version and ended up having to restore bits of my legacy account (stuff that didn't exist anywhere else) and back everything up again to my new account.

If you need to speak to somebody at IDrive Support, contact them during their California office hours. You'll probably still get a call center operator in India, but they will be able to transfer you to an engineer in USA if they run out of options on their support script.

#3 2019-07-31 10:44:21

kevin

Thanks Steve for the support - practical and moral

I have got there -  I rang the USA at 4pm - daytime California - thanks for that tip!

Basically using my orignal username and log-in, I set up a new 'sub-user' for each of my shops.

Then on each local PC I need to logout from my original master (personal) account, re-log in and log in again with the details that I have created for the new sub-user.

All data needs to be re-backed-up and back-up schedule re-set - a pain for our server but worth doing for more security in the long run.

The set-up I now have means that each shop can only 'see' and restore the back-ups for its own computers and not those of other shops - this gives me a modest level of security in unlikely event of a rogue employee. As long as I know the separate shop log-ins and passwords i can go in to each sub-user account.

It seems that the 'administrator' can only create user accounts etc but to carry out operations like restore I would have to log-in as the local user. Not ideal but workable as we hope to only rarely need to restore anything.

#4 2019-07-31 22:15:03

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Good to hear that you've found a way forward.

Its a shame that IDrive can't move customer data internally. Backing it all up again is time consuming and results in the loss of file versions and any files that have been removed from the source.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam