Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni
  • Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » Does IDrive compress the files for the backup archive? RSS Feed

#1 2021-09-29 16:41:56

RTPVid

Does IDrive compress the files for the backup archive?

Does IDrive compress the files for the backup archive?

#2 2021-09-29 16:46:12

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Does IDrive compress the files for the backup archive?

I don't believe so. If you backup a 2GB file it will take up 2GB of your IDrive space, even if its full of white space.

#3 2021-09-29 16:58:28

RTPVid

Of course.

So, are they are just in the business of selling cloud storage and backup is a means to an end?

Between no de-duplication and no compression, and no warning about your backup size ... they must really LOVE those overage charges!

Compression is not new technology (nor difficult to implement) - but they can't even seem to master time zones.

From the professional / journalist reviews, this sounded like a very good option to CrashPlan given IDrive's archive features.

But, add in the Trust Pilot reviews and they are sounding pretty sleazy.

#4 2021-09-29 17:11:09

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Interestingly, they mention compressed backups on their website here: https://www.IDrive.com/online-backup-features

Bit if you follow the link, there's no further mention of it.

I'll do a bit of experimenting with a large compressible file and let you know what happens.

#5 2021-09-29 17:22:07

RTPVid

Thanks.

If you read that carefully, they say they compress to save bandwidth, not to save the customer billed storage.

My prediction: they do compress to save bandwidth and actual storage space, since both benefit them, but their storage / quota meter uses native file size (since that also benefits them).

(I'm beginning to lose my enthusiasm for these guys.)

I'll be pleasantly surprised if your test shows something different.

Last edited by RTPVid (2021-09-29 17:22:41)

#6 2021-09-30 07:50:06

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Results are in:

I took a 31GB dd image of a Linux box, which contains around 5GB of files and the remainder is unused space. This file will compress to 7GB using ZIP compression.

It uploaded to IDrive quicker than I was expecting, so that does suggest that compression was used to speed up the transfer process, however once it arrived in my account, exactly 31GB was eaten from my allowance.

I'm unaware if they store the data compressed, maybe doing so would complicate the block level incremental backup feature.

#7 2021-09-30 17:49:45

RTPVid

Thanks for running that test. I posted my CrashPlan data (https://backupforum.progf....php?id=141).

Looking at my current backup set size (4.1 TB), and considering all the complaints about IDrive business practices on both the Trust Pilot site (referenced elsewhere in this forum) as well as on the BBB site, it would seem I'd need to keep a hawkeye on them to avoid their famous outrageous overage charges if I go with their 5TB plan.

What good (really, what good) is a backup service company that you can't trust?

• Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » Does IDrive compress the files for the backup archive? RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam