Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-05-20 16:03:42

speckle111

Linux soft links

I am running my first trial backup and already see a significant problem.  IDrive is following soft links so that the folder that is linked is getting backed up.  So, I have, in my home directory, links to folders in /mnt for convenience.  My trial backup is /home which is relatively small, but it's telling me that the backup is 1.3 TB because it is putting a backup of the folders in /mnt that are linked.  For example:

/home/john/movies -> /mnt/share/movies
   /home/john/pictures -> /mnt/share/pictures

so the backup is trying to back up all the movies under /home/john/movies, etc.

I am going to backup /mnt as well, but (due to it's size) I'll do the initial backup via. express Drive, and I don't want two backups of everything in /mnt .

I tried excluding /home/john/movies , but I get the error that it is not a regular file, and it is removed from the exclude list.

I'm hoping (but not sure) that the backup does some smart deduplication so that the path /home/john/movies/Movie1.mp4 and /mnt/share/movies/Movie1.mp4 are both valid backup/restore points, but only one copy actually exists.  If that's the case, it's not too big of a deal, but I'll wait until I've got my express Drive backup before continuing.

Can someone confirm that IDrive handles this correctly?  Alternately, is there a way to exclude soft links from the backups?

#2 2022-05-20 16:11:25

speckle111

Re: Linux soft links

Just found a (somewhat annoying) solution.  I've included every file that is a soft link in the 'Partial file name' exclusion list.

So, I now have:

/home/john/movies

excluded as a partial path, not whole path, and now the backup size is down to a few GB as expected.

Not perfect because I now have to remember to add an exclusion every time I create a soft link, but at least I have a workaround.

Still interested in a better way to work with links though!

#3 2022-05-21 00:05:09

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux soft links

I think you've found a reasonable solution.

I don't use the IDrive scripts to backup my Linux machines, I copy disk images and changes to a Windows machine and let IDrive back that up.

Has the advantage of having the latest versions of everything local so that I don't need to do a lengthy restore if I suffer a total loss of a machine.

I should point out that my Linux boxes don't contain TBs of movies and photos which is why this is viable for me.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam