Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-05-29 13:13:46

speckle111

A couple more questions: file size, inode changes

So, I'm in the process of doing a local backup to my IDrive Express and, due to the size, it's taking a while (a few more days).  As far as I can tell, I can't do a normal (i.e. non-local) backup while I'm doing a local backup, so I can't test out a couple things.

1)  I've been reading the docs/faq and it says that IDrive has been tested to back up files up to 10 GB large.  I have a few files that are more than that (nothing over 15 GB).  Will they get backed up?  I was a bit surprised that the file size limit seems so small and make me wonder how well this will scale to larger applications.

2)  What changes to a file will cause it to be backed up?  I've been looking for a technical description and haven't found it.  I read that it doesn't preserve permissions and owner/group information, so I'm assuming that changing the permissions or ownership of a file won't trigger a backup.  My biggest question is if changing inodes will trigger a backup.  In the very near future, I want to move some of my local files to a NAS, which I plan to mount on my host in exactly the same location they are now (except they'll be NAS disk rather than local disk).  This is going to change the inodes of all of the files, but NOT their size/content.  Will this trigger a new backup?  Sorry for asking this... I could have tested it if I could run a backup, but I figure someone else may have the same question at some point.  What if I change a file's timestamp.  I'm assuming that that will trigger a backup (though if the content is unchanged, nothing should actually have to be sent to the backup).

Thanks in advance.

#2 2022-05-30 21:48:36

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: A couple more questions: file size, inode changes

speckle111 wrote:

1)  I've been reading the docs/faq and it says that IDrive has been tested to back up files up to 10 GB large.  I have a few files that are more than that (nothing over 15 GB).  Will they get backed up?  I was a bit surprised that the file size limit seems so small and make me wonder how well this will scale to larger applications.

With Windows, I have a 40GB Virtual Disk image that changes every time I load the guest. The initial backup took a long time, and if it was interrupted it would restart from scratch next time, but now that its had its full backup the incrementals work in good time.

2)  What changes to a file will cause it to be backed up?  I've been looking for a technical description and haven't found it.  I read that it doesn't preserve permissions and owner/group information, so I'm assuming that changing the permissions or ownership of a file won't trigger a backup.  My biggest question is if changing inodes will trigger a backup.  In the very near future, I want to move some of my local files to a NAS, which I plan to mount on my host in exactly the same location they are now (except they'll be NAS disk rather than local disk).  This is going to change the inodes of all of the files, but NOT their size/content.  Will this trigger a new backup?  Sorry for asking this... I could have tested it if I could run a backup, but I figure someone else may have the same question at some point.  What if I change a file's timestamp.  I'm assuming that that will trigger a backup (though if the content is unchanged, nothing should actually have to be sent to the backup).

I don't know the answer to this, I would suggest you experiment with some small files!

#3 2022-05-30 23:40:39

speckle111

Re: A couple more questions: file size, inode changes

Thanks.  I'm glad to hear that it can do large files.

I'll experiment with the inode change once the local backup is complete.  It should be within the next day or so.  I'll post a reply once I know the answer.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam