Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-08-21 04:35:41

Cdav929

Is IDrive the right solution for me?

My problem I’m encountering is that I’m a hobbies photographer and am running out of room on my MacBook. I thought a solution would be to use a cloud storage solution and offload pictures from my laptop. ( don’t really like portable hard drives as I’ve had lots fail on me in the past).

However looks like with IDrive the only way to get files off my computer is with a backup - if I use sync then they’re still stored locally not saving me any room. My question is If I back those files up then delete from my computer - will those files be available after multiple other backups with those files gone locally?
I thought I read you can only recover files located in the last 10 backups.

Thank you for any help!
-Chris

#2 2022-08-21 17:28:12

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Is IDrive the right solution for me?

If you delete files locally and DO NOT enable IDrive's Archive Cleanup feature, they will persist in your IDrive account.

The "10" you've read about refers to the number of versions IDrive keep each time a file is changed and backed up. Usually images won't trigger new versions, but if you did accidentally change the contents of an image, you would be able to recover the previous version from IDrive.

However, I don't know that I would be happy trusting IDrive to be the sole custodian of my valuable photos - I would still recommend having another copy.

An external drive containing a quality disk should be reliable. If you want to keep your photos available, maybe consider a NAS with redundant disks (RAID) so that you can survive disk failures without data loss.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam