Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni
  • Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » IDrive seems to be completely dead - but is hogging the most CPU RSS Feed

#1 2022-09-12 08:24:20

OldGrantian

IDrive seems to be completely dead - but is hogging the most CPU

Late last night, I tried to run an immediate Backup. This morning, the list was still being prepared!! The progress bar at foot of page was running continuously.

I changed the process to Restore, in order to restore a tiny DOS BAT file. That list also ran continuously.

For no reason, I looked in Scheduler. AFAIK, the entire screen had been reset to empty: No days, no email, no notifications.

In Settings, AFAIK, everything is set to defaults. I clicked Verify Now, to see if that would kick start anything. But nothing happened.

History:  For the last couple of days, I've been fighting a losing battle with Windows 10 themes. No important files were being changed, so I had no interest in IDrive which usually runs normally. But I think I had a few notifications that iD wasn't happy for those 2 days. (My memory is no longer reliable.) I simply ignored the notifications.

Currently, on the Backup page, the word "Calculating..." appears after "Change".

At this instant, the "Restore Now" button in "Restore" is greyed out. So presumably something is happening - possibly the Restore of the DOS BAT file is still active.

Task Manager shows that the two iD resources are hogging the CPU - despite the fact that nothing seems to be happening visually.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

#2 2022-09-12 20:42:41

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive seems to be completely dead - but is hogging the most CPU

Restart the IDriveService service?

#3 2022-09-13 06:56:42

OldGrantian

Re: IDrive seems to be completely dead - but is hogging the most CPU

SteveA wrote:

Restart the IDriveService service?

Before seeing your response, I had already started a Chat with IDrive.

The response was immediate and helpful. It's not like Amazon or some other chats, where you need to figure out by trial and error how to get past the bots.

I'm going to copy paste the complete list of instructions. It might help someone else in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------
First set of instructions (which did not work for my specific issue, but might work for a future issue):

1. Open Task Manager - Processes tab - "Show the processes from all the users" and End all IDrive processes.
2. Click on Start and Select Run. Type ' services.msc ' in the Run box and click on OK.
3. In the Services window right click on 'Volume Shadow Copy' and select Start. If it is already started, then select Restart and make 'Startup Type' to be Automatic under properties.
4. Click on Apply and then on OK to save the changes.
5. Do the same for IDrive services and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider.

[There was no reboot. Maybe we should have tried that.]

Next set of instructions. These worked. But I don't know which specific instruction was the solution. As I said above, maybe a reboot might have done the trick without any of the following stuff.]

Can you please disable the anti virus and firewall for sometime, then reboot.
---------------------------------------

Remember to restore AV and Firewall, and do immediate scans.

On reflection, I've been using Win Def and MBAM (always on) since I started IDrive. There were never any problems.

Therefore, IMO, the issue must have been remediated in the first batch of instructions relating to Services.

Thanks

• Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » IDrive seems to be completely dead - but is hogging the most CPU RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam