Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2022-12-26 06:59:10

IanPul

How to do backups on a monthly schedule?

Hi.

Background first: I have Windows installed on a relatively small C-drive, with all my data on a separate D-drive, and with IDrive backing up the latter, both online and to a local NAS. After recently losing the C-drive, and then successfully restoring it from an IDrive system image backup that I'd saved quite a long time ago, I decided it would be good to save those periodically to keep them more up to date. So I added more space to my D-drive, and now have IDrive running periodic system image backups of the C-drive, stored on there (and excluded from the other backups). Which brings me to my question...

The system image backups are scheduled to run once a week. They really don't need to be that frequent, and running them less often would save them from contributing to wearing out the flash in my SSDs, but weekly is the longest period that IDrive's scheduler supports. So I'm looking for ideas on how a specific backup could be launched from the Windows scheduler? My initial ideas were:

1. Is there a way to launch IDrive to immediately run a specified backup from command line? I couldn't find anything for this. There are some command-line utilities for Linux with Windows ports, but according to their help info they don't support anything like this.

2. If backup jobs could be enabled/disabled by edits to the config files, then it should be possible to put together a script to turn on the system image job once a month, then turn it off after it has run once. Anyone know if that's possible in the IDrive config files?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Ian

#2 2022-12-28 14:12:42

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: How to do backups on a monthly schedule?

There is a schedule.xml file in IBCOMMON which may be able to be manipulated to achieve this.

#3 2022-12-29 18:42:29

IanPul

Re: How to do backups on a monthly schedule?

Yes, thanks, I found that. It has a line for each scheduled backup job, each of which includes a "nxttrftime" attribute which is obviously giving the time of the next run (not sure what the "trf" stands for - "next transfer time"?). It was set to next run at "12-31-2022 5:00:00", so as a test I manually edited it to "01-07-2023 5:00:00", making it a 2-week delay since the last run, and am waiting to see if that works. If it does then I can have a script scheduled to run later in the day after the backup job has run, which will edit it to 28 days from that day.

I guess that it'll probably also need to restart IDriveService to make sure that the edited schedule gets re-read.

Last edited by IanPul (2022-12-29 21:24:38)

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam