Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni
  • Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » deleted files and folders on my pc still show on the "restore" screen RSS Feed

#1 2021-10-12 02:52:28

almagor

deleted files and folders on my pc still show on the "restore" screen

I had very high hopes for the option of setting the date to which to restore my files. But I was disappointed to discover both files and libraries that were deleted (as a part of my testing I-Drive) still showing up.
How would I do a recovery should my hard drive crash? all the hundresds of files and many libraries which were deleted during the weeks and months preceding the crash would all come back? I hope that I am doing something wrong and that this can be fixed by a simple setting change, otherwise, I would not be able to use the system.
I am running on a PC with Win-10.
My current backup (Memopal) has problems but does address this issue: on the initial restore screen it only shows current libraries and files. Of course it also provides access to older versions. In my opinion, this is a critical requirement for any backup system.

#2 2021-10-12 16:38:07

RTPVid

Re: deleted files and folders on my pc still show on the "restore" screen

Does the snapshot restore do what you want?

#3 2021-10-13 17:52:32

almagor

I had high hopes after reading your suggestion, but alas, the results are not what I expected. Not sure how to attach a screen shot here so I will describe the situation in words: In a library created for the test I created two libraries and inside each several word files. Then on the first day of the test I deleted a couple of the file. On the next day I deleted one of the libraries. On the third day I made no changes (yesterday).
Today, when I go to Restore (with or without the Snapshot option), ALL the files and folders originally created are showing.

What am I doing wrong?

#4 2021-10-14 19:34:25

SteveA
Administrator
Website

The problem with Snapshot Restore is that the date you choose is "all the data backed up on or before the selected date"

...so that will include data that may have been removed from the source.

It would be more useful if you could narrow the window by specifying two dates.

IDrive does have a feature that will keep your backups synchronized with your computer, but please be very careful about enabling it, because they won't keep your deleted files. (I'm not clear if the Trash feature is used, however that's only good for 30 days retention anyway)

The feature is called Archive Cleanup and is described here: https://www.IDrive.com/help/Windows/archive_cleanup

#5 2021-10-15 03:44:50

almagor

I tested Archive - not at all what I need as it deletes all files which are not on my pc at the time of archiving.
Using Snapshot with two dates or one still keeps ALL files that were backed up before a certain date, including deleted files.

I am surprised that it is so difficult to find a system that provides this [to my opinion] CRITICAL requirement.

Anyway, I am back to Memopal - they do EXACTLY what I need even if with some occasional gliches and do provide super customer support when there is a glich.

Thanks for all your help.
JA

#6 2022-02-04 08:22:52

nonobio

Hi,

Totally agree.

I use IDrive backup for years and I'm quite happy with it (but never had needed to restore).

But last days, I explored the restoration options, in case I had to restore a lot of data (for instance restore a big folder with subfolders and files, or at worst a died HDD) and I had a really bad surprise: From IDrive web: I can't do anything but restore one file at a time. Simple sad (It is even impossible to download a single folder). From IDrive Windows app: I can restore one or several folders, great wink,

BUT!!! : it contains all my deleted data, even when displaying the "latest contents"!

I thought to find the solution with the "Snapshots" feature but it is the same issue: all my deleted data is listed, as the message said: "List file/folder that is backed up on or before"...

For me, it is nonsense! I often delete files and folders to clean my data. For instance, last month, I deleted thousands of files and hundreds of folders; it took me several hours. And if I have data loss and if I use IDrive to restore it, all my clean work will be lost ?!

I contacted IDrive support and they say me I should run an "Archive cleanup" before restoring my data, and so, all my deleted data (not present on my source PC) will be deleted on the cloud.

Ok, but as I said to them: "It will delete data I choose to delete AND maybe data deleted by mistake, and I don't want that. It is the reason why I use IDrive: not be worried about deleted stuff by mistake.

I think it is really a big con to not be able to restore data like it was on my computer on a chosen date, without deleted stuff, and without the need to run the archive cleanup. With solutions like image disk backup (Reflect for instance), when I choose a date to restore, I have exactly the content of how it was at a chosen date, and If I want to retrieve deleted data, I choose an older date...

This point makes me think if I should stay on IDrive or leave it."

So this discovery is a big disappointment for me.

Do you know if there is the same "issue" with other backup solutions? (Backblaze for instance) ?

I take a look at Memopal but it is expensive and offers only 500 GB.

Thanks

#7 2022-02-04 09:45:37

almagor

Memopal handles deleted files exactly as they should be handled. I am back to their system and am very happy with it.

#8 2022-02-05 16:24:24

nonobio

Hi,

Thanks for your reply smile.

Unfortunately, it doesn't offer enough space for me (actually I use more than 1 TB on IDrive), and/or it is too expensive sad.

If anyone knows others cloud backup without this IDrive "issue"...

#9 2022-06-27 22:18:52

4mc

I've just hit this in a massive way. I've been using IDrive for years to backup a 6TB Netgear ReadyNAS.

Don't ask, but suffice to say I have to rebuild the NAS from scratch. So far I've restored over 3TB of folders and files. I started looking at what had been restored, so much old data, so many old folders and thousands of unneeded files.

Looks like they only way to resolve is to manually walk through the entire file system and delete the duplicates. Has anyone found another way. a good duplicate finder tool that runs on Windows?

++Mark.
https://ctproduced.com

#10 2022-06-28 10:25:25

nonobio

Hi,

I tried a lot of alternatives and Arq Premium was my preferred, but finally, I gave up online backup and consolidated my local backups.
For searching dups on Windows, I use Dupkiller, or maybe better : dupeGuru.

#11 2022-06-30 18:59:14

4mc

nonobio wrote:

Hi,

I tried a lot of alternatives and Arq Premium was my preferred, but finally, I gave up online backup and consolidated my local backups.
For searching dups on Windows, I use Dupkiller, or maybe better : dupeGuru.

I'm working with dupeGuru, it's epically useful and has found endless duplicate files and directories... I hope to have removed them all by the end of today and can copy the whole file system back to the primary NAS which I've now rebuilt.

#12 2023-01-06 12:34:09

Fotog

nonobio wrote:

I contacted IDrive support and they say me I should run an "Archive cleanup" before restoring my data, and so, all my deleted data (not present on my source PC) will be deleted on the cloud.

Ok, but as I said to them: "It will delete data I choose to delete AND maybe data deleted by mistake, and I don't want that. It is the reason why I use IDrive: not be worried about deleted stuff by mistake.

It seems that you want IDrive to recognise which files you deliberately deleted and which you deleted by accident.  You might have to pay more for that functionality.

• Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » deleted files and folders on my pc still show on the "restore" screen RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam