Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2023-12-01 16:38:40

billg137

IDrive not backing up Thunderbird Profiles

Hi.  I've been using IDrive for 5 years, but just noticed that it's not reliably backing up my Thunderbird Profiles folder. The last Profiles backup (based on the Date Modified that appears in IDrive Restore) is 8/18/23.

I checked the files/folders listed in Settings/Exclusions, and nothing that’s listed there as being excluded should have any impact on this.

I’m also using MS OneDrive with all files backed chosen to be “always on drive.”  The file path is C\Users\...\OneDrive.  Thunderbird\Profiles is under OneDrive, along with Documents, Pictures, etc.  Everything in OneDrive is backing up reliably except Thunderbird.

Can anyone suggest what I’m doing wrong, or what I should try?   thanks

#2 2023-12-02 00:52:29

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: IDrive not backing up Thunderbird Profiles

Could it be that Thunderbird is always open when the backup runs and IDrive can't open the in-use files?

I'm not sure if VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) is possible on Onedrive files (even if they're cached locally), so IDrive may fail to open them.

Related errors should be visible in the backup log, or in "Tracefile.txt" which you can find here:

C:\ProgramData\IDrive\IBCOMMON\-profile- (-profile- being your backup profile name)

#3 2023-12-03 20:38:29

billg137

Re: IDrive not backing up Thunderbird Profiles

Hi SteveA.  Thanks very much for your response.  Here are my comments on the things you mentioned.  Please let me know if you see any gaps in my comments, or if you have any other thoughts

I always close Thunderbird before the backup, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I wasn't familiar with VSS, so I looked it up.  I haven't ever enabled it (that I know of).  And my other files that are located in my OneDrive folder are being successfully backed up, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem with backing up my Tbird Profile that's in OneDrive.

I ran the Tracelog.  No errors are listed, and there's no mention of Thunderbird.  Just a list of "SUCCESS" backup items, and the standard disclaimer at the end: "[Some of the files / folders you have chosen may have been excluded from backup. This means that the backup of these particular files / folders will not take place. View the list of excluded files / folders from the Settings tab.]"

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam