Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni
  • Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » How can it be disk imaging if some folders are excluded by default? RSS Feed

#1 2024-01-31 23:00:51

DaveLab

How can it be disk imaging if some folders are excluded by default?

Entire Machine Backup is supposed to include everything, right? Data, programs, OS system files--so that you can restore it all as a working system if you lose it all.  But some key folders are excluded by default in the backup set. E.g., C:\Windows\System32.

What am I missing, here?

Thanks,

Dave

UPDATE: I asked IDrive support, and they got back to me quickly. It was a canned response, I think, but still. According to them, it seems that I was wrong in the way I interpreted what I saw in the interface. Apparently, Entire Machine Backup does do what it sounds like it does. Any excluded files you may see selected are not associated with EMB. (they go with one of the other backup strategies, I guess) Of course, there's nothing to indicate as much and thus my confusion. I'm learning that there are many "clunky" aspects to the interface. Seems odd, because at the same time it appears to be a fairly powerful backup service with lots of options. You just have to get to know it's quirks, I guess.

Last edited by DaveLab (2024-02-04 02:02:07)

• Index
  •  » Common Room
  •  » How can it be disk imaging if some folders are excluded by default? RSS Feed

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam