Backup forum

A place to discuss Backup software and online services

You are not signed in.

Announcement

Signed in and can't post? Click here!Hot Tags: account Android Archive cleanup Code42 CrashPlan Backup bug bugs cleanup CcrPU Delete desktop error fail failed failure feature request idevsutil iDrive community incremental internet issue linux log login mac Mobile password performance progress QNAP REST restore Security slow speed suggestions support sync Synology upgrade upload windows backblaze carbonite SugarSync Dropbox Veeam Memopal Netgear Asustor Pro Softnet Corporation Raghu Kulkarni

#1 2021-01-23 20:13:22

IanPul

Question on IDrive Express

Hi,

Does anyone know if IDrive Express can be used to add additional data into an existing online backup set?

I have a mapped-drive backup set that backs up certain selected directories from my NAS. I'm in the process of running a few local drive image backups that will save the images to that NAS. The 1st one is about 1/2 TB, but the others will be smaller and I'll probably end with about 1TB of drive images saved. I'd then like to get these backed up online too, but want them included in the mapped-drive backup set so that future updates will get backed up by that.

So what I'm thinking of is to use IDrive express as a one-time operation to get them all added-in initially, then have the scheduled mapped-drive backup set update any that I change later.

My question is can IDrive express be used that way, to add these into my existing backup cloud image of that mapped NAS drive? Will that automatically happen, or do I need to somehow tell them that this is where I want the new directory to be located?

Ian

#2 2021-01-23 20:25:41

SteveA
Administrator
Website

Re: Question on IDrive Express

#3 2021-01-23 21:36:52

IanPul

Probably - that post implies that IDrive Express always uploads a full backup of everything - you can't tell it to just do some particular sub-set of the backup? Assuming that is the case then yes, it is a bit of an overkill for what I want, but should end up achieving what I want to do, should I decide to go that route. Thanks.

#4 2021-01-23 21:58:40

SteveA
Administrator
Website

As I remember, you still get to choose what you want to back up and point it to the Express device.

If you exclude your computer's local disks and just choose your NAS as a mapped drive, that's all you'll send and they'll merge it into your data*.

I only did it once and it turned out to be a pointless exercise because of the delays, but you might be lucky wink

I live outside the US and it was a holiday period, however some of the delay was also caused by IDrive after it arrived back with them.

Official info here: https://www.IDrive.com/IDrive-express-faq

*They told me older files in the account would be updated, however the official info now states:

Note: If files are already present in your online backup account and those same files are also sent via IDrive Express, the backup files in your account will be maintained to avoid any conflicts. We recommend you to delete or purge existing data from your online backup account to upload duplicate files from Express device.

Board footer

Protect your brand, users & email deliverability. Let’s Encrypt- free, automated, and open certificate authority (CA) StatusCake Monitoring Service Stop Forum Spam